Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn V6 fuel pump gone?

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
gday guys, yet another break down for my daily, the farker wont fire. Ive noticed that when you turn the key i cant hear the fuel pump!! how ever when i start it it will run for about 1-2 secs and die. You can do that over and over. So its getting some petrol i assume but cant hear the pump, All also put on a known to be good coil pack but no change. Whats else can i look at? Cheers

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
just been playing around,and i unplugged that 2 wire clip plug right behind the alternator on the top (91 model vn)and sometimes it will idle for nearly 5secs and as soon as u touch the go peddle it dies straight away. wtf

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
nup all dash lights as normal,might replace the oil pressure switch 2morrow and see if that helps...maybe not enough petrol in the tank,might chuck in 20litres and see if that helps.. Must have spark otherwise it wouldnt run for upto 5 secs. You can easily hear when my vn ss primes when u turn the ignition on but the v6 i cant. When i turned off the ignition i had to get under the car and i could just hear the pump for maybe 15 secs or so after i turned the ignition off. Got me stuffed.
Maybe its the cas as i had it changed about 2-3yrs ago.

What a farked couple of days v6 has been out of action for the past 2 days and been driving the v8 to work and was planning on getting some parts today for the v6 and the fkn ss wouldnt start.. no spark and no injector pulse ffs what next.. turns out the module bit the dust , would get pulse and spark when u kept tapping it while cranking it over.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
take out the fuel pump relay and bridge the socket connectors that go to the relays normallyopen contacts this will supply 12 volts to the fuel pump all the time and if its working you will hear it. If it runs check the fuel pressure is not too low.
What's the plug behind the alternator connect to?

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
take out the fuel pump relay and bridge the socket connectors that go to the relays normallyopen contacts this will supply 12 volts to the fuel pump all the time and if its working you will hear it. If it runs check the fuel pressure is not too low.
What's the plug behind the alternator connect to?

do you happen to know which connectors to bridge as i cant find my manual.
As for the plug only on 91models maybe its just part of the alt

Oh yeh forgot to mention when i changed the cas i did the fuel pump aswell as i thought that was the initial problem.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure which connections they are nowever I am sure there is a schematic on the side of the relay itself with numbers and these numbers shoudl be on the bottom of the relay next to the pins and you can work it out from that?
One at least should have 12 volts on it all the time.
If the pump does not run then you need to check for 12 Volts at the plug just infront of the fuel tank.

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
it tried idling today on accassions it would idle for over 10secs and then die, and as soon as u touch the go pedal it will die. Still cant hear it prime so must be the pump.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
It won't prime everytime you turn the key especially if it does it once and you tuen the key a number of times after that. If it's not running you have to go through a process of elimination. First up I'd swap the fuel pump relay with another one in there the same type if that doesn't fix it bridge out the relay base as I suggested and check if it runs, if not check for voltage at the plug near the fuel tank.
If it's dying when you touch the accelerator and it has sufficient fuel pressure you may want to check your TPS (throttle position sensor).

v6nutz_2011

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Wagon
Theres a good chance its the pump. My fuel pump went a while ago and i was still able to drive the car, although it didnt want to idle and i couldnt accelerate much at all. Difference was that i could still hear the pump, but it was real quiet and sounded like it was struggling.
Do as wortus said and change the relay first because if the relay stuffs up, the pump will run once the oil pressure light goes out, or thats how its supposed to work anyway