Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN V6 fuel sender unit

Rchristou3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Sedan
Hey guys, I’m new here and don’t really know if this is the right location to post, but I recently bought a VN V6 sedan which had been sitting for years. Turned out the fuel tank and sender was rusted out so I purchased a new sender unit. Looking at the two next to eachother they look a little different. Just wondering if I installed a new pump to the new sender unit. It will still work even though the unit looks different. Attached are the photos of the units. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 41D0477E-B32C-4D47-8C4E-3EFE0A3F1CD1.jpeg
    41D0477E-B32C-4D47-8C4E-3EFE0A3F1CD1.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 126

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Welcome. I don't have VN so may be wrong...it does look like someone has replaced the pump on the 'new' sender with a non standard pump. You could try taking the pump off of the old sender and comparing it with the 'new' sender pump just to make sure the length is the same but I reckon a new pump would fit.
An ebay fuel pump I bought recently had a part number of AFP-101. Hope this helps.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't chuck out your old sender. You can soak them in vinegar and sometimes the sender is still OK.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the small pump looks like a lift pump not a main pump, may be out of vl or such, the original bigger pump is in VN-VS as a single main pump

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Hey guys, I’m new here and don’t really know if this is the right location to post, but I recently bought a VN V6 sedan which had been sitting for years. Turned out the fuel tank and sender was rusted out so I purchased a new sender unit. Looking at the two next to eachother they look a little different. Just wondering if I installed a new pump to the new sender unit. It will still work even though the unit looks different. Attached are the photos of the units. Thanks in advance.
Im assuming VN V6 has only has 1 large high pressure pump intank. The V8 has 2 pumps (small lift pump inside and larger pump outside).
Your rusted sender looks to have a single larger pump installed and a pulsator/damper which could indicate a correct VN/VP V6 sender.

Like 07GTS noted the sender on the right side (unrusted) looks be be a VL efi 6 cyl sender with a small low pressure lift pump, VL has a straight fuel metal pipe and VN has the curved outside pipe like your rusted sender.
VL efi 6cyl uses 2 pumps like the VN/VP/VQ V8 models. Have a look at the inside flat part near float wire and it will have a year date stamp and tell you which model it suits.

Yes you can install new single larger high pressure pump and fuel sender will work as the guage readings for empty/full electrically will be the same wiring from VL to VP/VQ. You just have to work out the pump pressure rating for your V6 car.

You might be better of $$$ wise as Losh1971 suggested and restore your old one if the pump works, test it, if it works ok you can always sell the other sender you bought with small lift pump to fund new larger pump.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
One has factory dampener other is missing it.

Heard of a few blokes brought their rusty units back to life soaking them in things like wd40 etc then checking them with multimeters to work as per factory spec