Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn V6 Idle Problem

J

jackus

All,

I have a minor problem with the idle on my VN. On the odd occasion when in drive the engine stalls. Initial checks were made using a Gregory's manual and I removed the throttle body and cleaned it all with carbie clean, replaced the gaskets and checked the IAC as per the manual. All checked out okay, but the problem remains. It happens less often than my girlfriends period, maybe once or twice a month. I had the auto checked out and serviced, just in case, but they found it okay and it never stalled on them.

I got serious the other weekend when the girlfriend complained about it happening more regularly. This time I went through the whole process in the Gregory's manual for poor idle. It checks the Computer (no fault codes), IAC, fuel pressure (external/internal), throttle position sensor, ignition leads, earth straps, idle speed and base idle stop adjustment, etc. Everything was okay and within tolerance. Naturally the idle was working just fine.

The only thing that I found suspicious was when checking the ignition leads I found that on the top bank of the coil packs (the one closest to the centre of the engine) the leads were corroded on both leads. A little bit of rust came out when gently tapped. I then cleaned up the post and retightened the crimp inside the lead. It did appear strange that the other four leads on the two remaining packs were okay. Either way, the car hasn't stalled yet!!

My question is then: Has anyone experienced this problem before (stalling at idle) and found a solution?

Regards Jack

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Yeh after the checks you've made id say either:

1) the DFI module trapped moisture and rust which would cause that.
2) the coil pack/s (depending on which series VN) can also trap moisure and cause rust.

If the leads were rusty, pull them off the coil, lightly sand the coils back a bit with some very gentle sandpaper (wet & dry) till the rust is gone and then buy new leads (rapidfire are good) and spray some WD40 around the connections. If this stops the problem then your ok. But try and not get the area wet in future.

it could also be the power steering pump fluid level is low or on the way out as it puts a lot of stress on the engine when you dry steer and that can cause it to stall.

J

jackus

Thanks, I did notice that the powersteering does drag the engine down when parking. I'll flush the power steering fluid and see how that goes. As far as the ignition leads. I have cleaned them and although they are still well within tolerance (all below 6Kohms) however, they are the original leads and I suspect the rust may have already weakened the clips (at the coil end). Thanks again. Jack