Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn v6 intake manifold/head difference between series one and series 2/vp/vr

battist09

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
i converted a vn s2 v6 intake over to my s1 engine i used the fuel rails off the s2 intake an throttle body etc i just had to run the temp sensor an sender wires to the front under the alt insted of having them run at the back. everything runs fine. i have a problem with my thermo fans tho they wnt kick in the wiring to the ecu is all ok and all fuses an sensors an relays are all fine but fan still wnt kick in any thoughts??????

dhosky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 V6 manual executive
S2 v6s also have a plasic bellmouth inside the manifold take it out you will gain a bit of low end power from doing this ,series ones dont have them at all

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
What about mounting the series 2 intake backwards so that the throttle faces forwards? ( reverse mounted style ), could it be done without modifications?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
What about mounting the series 2 intake backwards so that the throttle faces forwards? ( reverse mounted style ), could it be done without modifications?

you'd need to relocate the alternator and anything else that will get in the way, but it can be bolted up 180deg around

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
so if i relocate the alternator an the other lil things in the way it will work fine. hmm,

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

YURNXT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cortina
Hi guys,
Recently had my engine belt tear off down the road from my house luckily but i drove it about 300-400 meters back and the temp gauge was sky high.

So i left the car for a day and tried it yesterday and withing 5 minutes the temp gauge was 2 bars off Hot, now i thought the problem would be the thermostat so i pulled the housing out and found that the thermostat that resided in their was missing the whole bottom assembly, The Brass solid tube, spring and that other piece that clamps around.

So what im wondering is did the S1 engines have troubles with overheating or the likes? because im thinking as this is a Mild s1 motor that maybe the previous owner had the thermostat so it was running constantly through?

But if not then im thinking its gone down into the water gallerys and now i think ill have to remove the manifold?

Has this ever happened to anyone before or whats the go? What do your VN s1's run on the temp gauge?

where would it most likely be blocked as i stuck my fingers down the gallerys but didnt feel anything?

Help would be much appreciated

also if i take the manifold off is it worth going to the s2 manifold?

really is there any point?

thanks guys,
Steve

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
S2 manifold is alot wasy to work on, the drivers side, there is no heater pipe down that side for the radiation, there are less heater pipes down that side also, and the manifold is a better design than the s1, thermostat is easyer to get to, as for your over heating problems the thermostat most likely is the problem or the water pump is stuffed, a tune will help it run cooler, and they can make the thermo fan come on quicker, get a cooler thermostat in it aswell and run coolant.

Phat VN

Fangin calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 92
ok, for those that want to know the differences between series one and series 2 vn v6 (series 2 is also vp, vr) heads and intrake manifold, heres some pics. i dont feel liek listing every different thing, but the pics show most of them quite easily.

just post if you have any queries, yme or someone else will give you an answer

Hey , I have almost finished building vn drift car and have have bought a turbo for it . My only worry is the turbo was suited for a series 1 and my car is a series 2 . Will I have any dramas with anything or will I have to swap manifolds ??? Has this been done?