Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn v6 intake manifold/head difference between series one and series 2/vp/vr

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The major difference between the s1 and s2 manifolds are the location of thermostat and the PCV system. Things like exhaust manifold and TB's are identical. Your turbo kit should bolt up fine. You will need to modify the PCV system so that you don't pressurise the sump when the engine is under boost.

I do recommend that you upgrade to the ecotec oil pressure valve relief spring as they run more oil pressure that the Buick 3800 engines, the s1 was the worst with only about 40psi oil pressure.

wilso

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VN Executive Wagon
Bit of a thread dig but couldn't find the answer anywhere else...

On the front of the S1 manifold what's the hose that connects back into the manifold itself (kind of like an upside-down U), is it just an oil breather type hose?
Does it have a part number, or can I use a different hose bent into shape?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Correct. It's the breather hose for the PCV valve/system. Any bit of hose should do but it is a fairly tight turn so you need to be careful you don't get a kink in it.

POS91VNMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
91vn manual
Sorry to bring this old tread back up but someone once told me a s1 has a longer crank than a s2 ?? I'm curious because I'm trying to decide if its worth getting the head shaved I lil to try an bring compression up a lil and get better rocker and solid lifters and maybe mild can to match to a s1 engine and change the intake over when I swap the motor I'm my s2 VN

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The difference between the series one and two crank shafts are the flange and rear main seal, the rest is all the same.

roverman88

Love my Commodores :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN Com V6 S Pac - 03 VY SS V8 Ute
ok, for those that want to know the differences between series one and series 2 vn v6 (series 2 is also vp, vr) heads and intrake manifold, heres some pics. i dont feel liek listing every different thing, but the pics show most of them quite easily.

just post if you have any queries, yme or someone else will give you an answer

Picture 417 has helped me out so much.

The little S bend pipe at the front there that goes into the manifold, does it connect on to a threaded piece of pipe that screws into the manifold or is it all one bit?