Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn v6 manual tailshaft problems

vnsmanual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S Manual
Today I had my tailshaft drop out from under the car. 4 of the six Allen
Key bolts had come undone and Allen out. I snapped the last one and lost another as I went to take off this morning leaving my rear section from
The diff forwards lying on the ground. We got some more bolts and bolted it all back up. But not even 300 metres up the road we were forced to pull over from knocks and vibrations. The car is coming home on a trailer and will have the entire tail shaft removed.

So my question is if I replace the cv bearing, the centre bearing and the unis if they need it will I still need to have it balanced? Where can I get it balanced and how much roughly would it be.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
I had Hardy Spicer do mine. I gave them a VN shaft and the rear half of a VL shaft and they grafted the front of the VN shaft onto the VL shaft. They fitted a new yoke, new uni's, new centre bearing and repacked my CV joint which was as new and balanced the shaft for $377 including GST.

DavoVP

Reaction score
It will allso need to be fazed aswell as balanced up.

As above, hardy spicer, or i recently took mine to driveline services they did a good job on it.

I split mine at home, replaced the center bearing and CV but i forgot to mark the shaft so i could line it back up when i reasembled it. Any way it was out of faze and vibrateing the whole car !.

You can still drive your car home, it wont hurt much mate, will just be dam anoying.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
ive split many a tailshaft swapping wagon rears for sedan rears. all i did was make note of where the balancer weights from the front shaft lined up with the ones on the rear and made it match. havent had a vibrating one yet. if you can figure out where the tailshaft originally sat in regards to the weights, you should get away with putting in a new c/v joint without rebalancing. c/v joint is around the 400 dollar mark.
If your in perth send me an sms

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
no way is a cv $400, holden quoted me 240