Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn v6 timing chain?

steveabbott

Stevo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN EXEC
just a question, ive had nothin but dramas with a reco motor i bought for my vn since i bought it no more than 6 months ago.

at idle there is a rattle, almost like valve bounce, but as soon as i feed it some throttle it goes away, is there a tensioner on the timing chain or has ne body had a similar drama b4?
cheers lads n lassses
Stevo

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
yeah there is a tensioner that noise usually indicates the tensioner ****ed buti dont see how it can happen after only 6 months. Who'd you get the motor from ?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah there should be no noise on a recon unless they didnt put the tensioner on at all.the later replacement tensioners are stronger than the old ones that used to snap off when the chain got some slack in it.i may be the balance shaft gears too they may not of replaced them in the rebuild

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
yeah there should be no noise on a recon unless they didnt put the tensioner on at all.the later replacement tensioners are stronger than the old ones that used to snap off when the chain got some slack in it.i may be the balance shaft gears too they may not of replaced them in the rebuild

it wouldn't make that noise with no tensioner as it wouldnt be rattling against the chain. Later models have a longer bolts and dont fit early ones as thread isnt deep enough. Another it could be is the bearings on the balance shaft i doubt it'd be the gears. Bearing tend to spin in the block and they might have just put them back in without loctiting them so they dont spin

steveabbott

Stevo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN EXEC
i got it from a company here in perth but i doubt they did much to it at all, they were a total f*** around from start to finish he said hed do a full rebuild for me, and give it a tickle too and took the car with a motor id spared from another car with a big end gone, so id say he freshened the bearings and put it back in again, and had his trades assistant do it... a job he said would take a wk n a half i didnt get my car back for 2 months...

if its only doing it at idle is there anythin else it could b? i tend to lean toward the chain or tesioner, but i dont wanna try fix it if it aint broke cos ive got a baby tht needs transporting now:)

thanks heaps for the help boys, always good t b able to ask some1 with more know how than me

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
if he only did the bearings as you say and never did anything else its more than likely the tensioner you can fix it or you dont have to really worry about it the car will still drive fine mines like that the only things is the noise can get fair annoying

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
most of the V6 engines with that rattle bad the tensioner is snapped off in the sump.the engine could of just had new rings and bearings and nothing else done probably still got the old cam bearings and cam chain etc lot of places will just do rings and bearings and slap them back together

steveabbott

Stevo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN EXEC
yer ive just gone out for a squiz and its not too hard of a job to get at, n if its just tht tensioner my gregorys book makes it look a peice of cake...

it is a bloody annoying noise but knowing its only a tensioner has helped my head, rlly cnt afford it to seize up on me so id beta find the snapped off bit in the sump hey

i got a new cam in it and it does pull harder now but yer it wouldnt suprise me if they cut corners and just did the rings n the bearings, it was seriously like somethin off a current affair, didnt answer the phone didnt call me back bla bla bla, but u have made my day thank u gentle mans

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
if they put a new cam in then they should have replaced the tensioner... its not really a hard job to do just a pita having to drain coolant and remove everything in the way

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the tensioners fine in the sump my mates car did about 70000 with no chain tensioner then we just put in a new JP performance chain and upgraded tensioner and didnt worry about the old one in the sump it wont go far