Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN V6 Turbo, what's involved

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I've spent no money at all on my VN because I realised that it's a waste of money when in the end to go as fast as I want to go (13.something) I would either need to spend masses of money or run a Turbo on it. I didn't think I'd be able to do it for some time but actually I'm getting close to being able to afford the parts and I'll expect to do it this year so it's time to learn some things. Firstly is the stock computer up to the task?, I figure the map pressure will be all mental with the turbo or will it?????! anyway maybe it's better to re wire another computer with a MAF sensor like say a VS one?. And what's the best way to make up some budget manifolds? starting with upside down VN ones?. I think that's about all I need to know, except for the legal side of things, does it need to go to a engineer in Victoria?. I'm not happy with the VN brakes even with a stock motor so I'll need to do something about those and I guess that I'll need to insure with shannons : ). Any tips from one of you guys running a turbo VN?, I know you are out there

kasey375

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais 383
do ya want twin turbo or just the one ?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
One will be fine but if I find two turbos for a good price then it will be two. Just looking around it seems like importing from the states is the go if I were to buy new a one. I don't want to make so much power or so many revs that a stock or near stock engine wont be reliable because I drive the car everyday so it doesn't really matter if it doesn't have alot of power. As long as it can cut a 13.9 and is cheap :) . A friend of mine has a supercharged VS V8 with over 300 kw's and he imported all his parts from the states for good prices but he reckons if he was doing it again he would have run turbos

kasey375

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais 383
i would go for a twin set up with t28 turbo's but i have herd that high boost can make a mess with the bottom end so the best thing is to use the vs bottom end as it has a 4 bolt main's (handle more power) and best thing would be aftermarket computer,custem manifolds and v8 fuel pump fuel reg and injectors.is this a v8 or v6 ? iff ya want somthing realy good there is twin throttal body inlet manifolds geting around, i have seen one and it looked nice.

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
Turbos

Here's a thought:

Start with a freshened up ECO motor as they are stronger and the heads flow better. If you run forced induction you will need to run lower compression, either by thicker head gaskets or different pistons. 'Twin turbo would be a little easier, running one per bank and saving a little pipework. T28's sound about right. You will need to upgrade to an aftermarket computer to deal with the boost. Nothing too complicated though. Halteck or Kalmaker will probably do the job. Front mount intercooler with a single out into a custom manifold. Or find a twin throttle body manifold and 2 long FMIC's.

Just a thought...

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Whats involved.. Searching.

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vy Senator Signature 5.7lt auto
go to www.v6supercharged.com.au and look for turbo test module and it has v6 vengance from street commodore in it and that has just been turbocharged. It will involve a full engine rebuild as well as many other things. I looked into it I found it would cost over 12,000 for 300rwkw and it running well amd it will last

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Ok, I'm on a budget of $1000, I'm totally confidant I get get a 13 second pass with that money a welder a die grinder and one eprom. We will see what happens : )

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
vpbeast said:
lol for $1000 13 seconds is more then pushin the limit

That does sound a little cheap. 13 seconds would still require a 300kW engine to get the Commodore's big heavy butt down the 1/4. What mods are you going to do for that price?