Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN V6 Turbo, what's involved

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I don't need anywhere near 300kw, I've done my sums on engine analyser and drag race pro and there is monster torque, more than enough to get a 1350kg car there in less than 14 seconds. With a single non intercooled T4 and 8 pounds of boost a totally stock V6 in a VN will run between 13 flat and 13.8 depending on the tires, because it wont be able to run at more than half throttle in the first two gears, I'll need to run premium or 98 octane fuel and have less spark timing when things are getting heavy (12 degrees in the mid range of the spark map) but yeah that's how it adds up. Just have to find a cheap turbo and I think a different map sensor that outputs the same voltage range as the stock one or at least make it output the same, I'm not sure about the map sensor yet and I have to find out how much fuel the stock injectors can supply because that might be borderline at maximum revs. About 10 years ago my friend had a LJ torana had a home made single turbo fed by two carbys on a 350 chev, he spent less than a grand on his and it made monster power, he had to run slicks on it driving aroung the street to stay on the road :p and it could still smoke the tires anytime you wanted at any legal speed, it left an impression on me.

Slooth I know it seems the stock motor wont handle the power but really it should, it's only a small amount of boost and it's not going to be doing many revs so there's not alot of stress on the engine and they are strong engines to start with, It's not worth much extra power to run an intercooler in this case and it adds alot of price so I'm not doing that. So all that's needed to buy is the turbo a waste gate and a boost gage really, I"ll make eveything else and I'll have to buy an 02 sensor to get the fuel injection sorted (but that's a tool and doesn't count: ) ). I will need a better exhaust but that doesn't count in my $1000. Anyway my car's stock now and still runs 8.2 seconds 0-100 with a full tank of fuel and my normal 20-30kg of cargo in the car, with a turbo that will close to 5 seconds flat, that would be much more exciting

Last edited:

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
What power?

greenfoam said:
I don't need anywhere near 300kw, I've done my sums on engine analyser and drag race pro and there is monster torque, more than enough to get a 1350kg car there in less than 14 seconds. With a single non intercooled T4 and 8 pounds of boost a totally stock V6 in a VN will run between 13 flat and 13.8 depending on the tires, because it wont be able to run at more than half throttle in the first two gears, I'll need to run premium or 98 octane fuel and have less spark timing when things are getting heavy (12 degrees in the mid range of the spark map) but yeah that's how it adds up. Just have to find a cheap turbo and I think a different map sensor that outputs the same voltage range as the stock one or at least make it output the same, I'm not sure about the map sensor yet and I have to find out how much fuel the stock injectors can supply because that might be borderline at maximum revs. About 10 years ago my friend had a LJ torana had a home made single turbo fed by two carbys on a 350 chev, he spent less than a grand on his and it made monster power, he had to run slicks on it driving aroung the street to stay on the road :p and it could still smoke the tires anytime you wanted at any legal speed, it left an impression on me.

Slooth I know it seems the stock motor wont handle the power but really it should, it's only a small amount of boost and it's not going to be doing many revs so there's not alot of stress on the engine and they are strong engines to start with, It's not worth much extra power to run an intercooler in this case and it adds alot of price so I'm not doing that. So all that's needed to buy is the turbo a waste gate and a boost gage really, I"ll make eveything else and I'll have to buy an 02 sensor to get the fuel injection sorted (but that's a tool and doesn't count: ) ). I will need a better exhaust but that doesn't count in my $1000. Anyway my car's stock now and still runs 8.2 seconds 0-100 with a full tank of fuel and my normal 20-30kg of cargo in the car, with a turbo that will close to 5 seconds flat, that would be much more exciting

Remember that a Torana is a lot lighter that the VN which is why they did so well up against the GTHO's when they didn't have near as much power. I know the V6's are tough but even a little boost I think may cause problems. It is not just the boost either. Remember the extra heat being pumped into the chamber from the non-intercooled boost.

What sort of power figure are you aiming at?

I hope you can do it for that money but I don't like to see hopes set too high or pistons melted.

Good luck with the transformation. Let us know how you go. ;)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Hi Slooth, I'll get you a power curve tomorrow of what I'm aiming for (it's at home and I'm not) I understand the pistons will be one of the weak links, but I mean my engine is old anyway and there are running engines on offer at the local wreakers starting at 200 bucks so if a I break it it's not the end of the world, I can always buy another engine and put better pistons in it or I could even decide that was too much boost and just run 4 pounds next time :) and still have a fast car. It's one thing I remember Peter Brock casually saying "If it breaks build a stronger one" I think just after he lost bathurst to a broken tailshaft or something :p.

I want either a decent second hand Air research or Garret turbo, a big name like this or I'll buy a new Master Turbo (that's from Brazil) cheap and probably not as good but good enough for a start and well within budget. 99% of the time I'll be putting around with hardly any boost at all, I reckon the longest I'd have my foot stuck into it is like 8 seconds and that would be only at the local 1/8th mile drag races like twice a year. So it shouldn't get too hot. Seems like the only sensible place to mount the turbo is near the airbox and have the long pipe from the other other bank comming around the front of the engine. I still need to understand the map sensor but apart from that I should be right to go, I'll be trying to run it fairly rich under max boost so nothing gets hot and falls apart.

I just can't see the point in spending a solid week porting the heads, at least it's only 6 cylinders but it still takes ages, then getting a new cam and buying extractors just to run 14's when for less money I can go faster unmodified with a turbo, it just makes more sense to me.

I'm not going to actually install it for a while yet but I'll be collecting parts when ever I see them now and buying a wide band 02 sensor/meter because I really need one of those

P

petesvns

ok question i just found out i got a heavly work N/A v6 in the vn i got ok i wanna get ride of it ( guy wants to buy it off me for 4 grand :rofl: ) and was thinkin about VS eco motor with a turbo can anyone tell me any prices if they can??????

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Cost of an ebay turbo and intercooler is far less these days. Could do it for under $500 if you have the ability to do the work yourself.
Seeing how cheap the eBay turbos and intercoolers are have got me thinking to put something on an ecotec for a bit of fun. Was going to keep the stock ecu. Just need to find someone that has exhaust manifold plates for sale or make my own. Fab work I can do myself.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Seeing how cheap the eBay turbos and intercoolers are have got me thinking to put something on an ecotec for a bit of fun. Was going to keep the stock ecu. Just need to find someone that has exhaust manifold plates for sale or make my own. Fab work I can do myself.
rear mount or j pipe lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hmmmm, forced induction, now that would be a nice addition to my current set up, especially with the Mace high ratio rockers that are arriving in the next two weeks.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hmmmm, forced induction, now that would be a nice addition to my current set up, especially with the Mace high ratio rockers that are arriving in the next two weeks.
Only issue is you won't be able to get it insured, plus then you'll need to upgrade the rest of the driveline to cope. And from a longevity point of view, probs better off getting an xr6 turbo for a couple thousand and will use around the same amount of fuel and go heaps better