Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN V6 vacuum leak

ayepeacee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 Buick
Hi, I had suspected a vacuum leak and had a mechanic do a smoke test. He showed me photos of the smoke coming out of the corner of the sump then he removed the dipstick and smoke everywhere. What does it mean? Is it just the intake manifold gasket?
Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Sounds like broken or stuck rings to be that bad,maybe a cracked/broken Piston,head gasket failure.
Probaly not a not a vacum leak but the mechanic should know,easy to diagnose with pressure testing and the like.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Hi, I had suspected a vacuum leak and had a mechanic do a smoke test. He showed me photos of the smoke coming out of the corner of the sump then he removed the dipstick and smoke everywhere. What does it mean? Is it just the intake manifold gasket?
Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks
Ask him to do wet and dry compression tests- that will tell you if it's rings, a cracked piston or head gasket.

ayepeacee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 Buick
It's a brand new engine, 30,000ks old seems a bit strange. I'll ask him to do the compression test

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If it's just a vacuum leak a vacuum gauge reading should confirm it, but if it's blowing smoke it's more serious than a manifold system leak.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
It's a brand new engine, 30,000ks old seems a bit strange. I'll ask him to do the compression test

I'll be looking at the rings not bedding in or have broken,common with old Re-co engines.
Get your Mechanic to do a compression test,very simple and easy to do and will cut down the options on what has gone wrong.

ayepeacee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 Buick
If it's just a vacuum leak a vacuum gauge reading should confirm it, but if it's blowing smoke it's more serious than a manifold system leak.
It doesn't blow smoke, they used a smoke machine into the intake to find the leak.