Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN V8 fuel tank rebuild

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Have VN V8
been sitting for 14 yrs, no start, no go
Removed fuel tank, which needs work
Sender unit rusted up and stuffed, 5 bolt
Inside was covered in crap, managed to get the inside sparkling again with using Septone degreaser from supercheap and KBS Aqua Klean
The hoses inside tank, as well as low pressure pump need to be replaced, will upgrade the outside high pressure pump as well
Has some rust around top of the tank in front above sender
cleaned outside of tank with KBS Rust Blaster, then washed the outside down with water
Was going to repair the rusted holes in tank with aircraft fuel tank epoxy
Then tackle the inside of tank with Rust Blaster and then add the KBS Tank sealer
Then give tank a coat of paint

However before one gets too deep into it the repair, how can you check if the tank is 80 litres, apart from filling it up with water, and not to sure where the 100% fill line is.
assuming tank is same surface area and only difference in depth/height of tank ?
Just want to make sure its actually 80-85 litres to start with and not 65 litres

Attachments

• sender#1.jpg
    sender#1.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 577
  • sender#2.jpg
    sender#2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 454
  • sender#5.jpg
    sender#5.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 413

refvpsenator

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator
Cheers BJF66,
I have my 80 litre 1992 HSV Senator fuel tank out at the moment waiting on an Ebay fuel pump to arrive.
My tank is 232mm thick, see picture. The tank is sitting flat on two saw stools and with a piece of metal on top of tank to take the measurement.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Tank dimensions.jpg
    Tank dimensions.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 197

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Refvpsenator
Yes I saw your posting
Thanks measured mine it’s 220mm on same edge so close

however will check it in water latter to be sure 80/0.8 (sg) should be 100 litres water

couldn’t get over how much crap was in tank
No wonder the electric pump didn’t work ?

Attachments

• BF82DCEE-C3EC-4CB5-9FA8-7CD046B6B5F5.jpeg
    BF82DCEE-C3EC-4CB5-9FA8-7CD046B6B5F5.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 186

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
The SG doesn't come into it , as far as I can see 80 litres of petrol = 80 litres of water.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Get it hot tanked clean from radiator repair joint.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Problem solved
Put 80 litres of water into tank although water losing a little through one of the rust holes

tank is cleaned on inside

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Have VN V8
been sitting for 14 yrs, no start, no go
Removed fuel tank, which needs work
Sender unit rusted up and stuffed, 5 bolt
Inside was covered in crap, managed to get the inside sparkling again with using Septone degreaser from supercheap and KBS Aqua Klean
The hoses inside tank, as well as low pressure pump need to be replaced, will upgrade the outside high pressure pump as well
Has some rust around top of the tank in front above sender
cleaned outside of tank with KBS Rust Blaster, then washed the outside down with water
Was going to repair the rusted holes in tank with aircraft fuel tank epoxy
Then tackle the inside of tank with Rust Blaster and then add the KBS Tank sealer
Then give tank a coat of paint

However before one gets too deep into it the repair, how can you check if the tank is 80 litres, apart from filling it up with water, and not to sure where the 100% fill line is.
assuming tank is same surface area and only difference in depth/height of tank ?
Just want to make sure its actually 80-85 litres to start with and not 65 litres

pretty much exactly how mine looked the other week.

I did the KBS 3 stage kit over the Easter weekend, the amount of rust and sludge from the tank was unbelievable :(

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Norti
yes I couldn't get over how much crap was in tank, at first when I had my torch in there couldn't get a reflection on inside of tank
managed to get the tank cleaned up in weekend and gave it wash down with Acetone on outside, and used the 3M aircraft sealant AC350 which arrived from Brisbane over weekend, $45 for 3.5oz tube AC 350/B 1/2 (thixotropic and 30min gel time)

3M™ Aerospace Sealant AC-350 | 3M United States
mediawebserver (3m.com)

Mixed up the 2 part, worked a treat, used caulking gun, nice and thick filled the rust holes

Then will use the rust blaster, tank sealant on inside, give it a nice coat of paint, and she will good to go

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Cheers BJF66,
I have my 80 litre 1992 HSV Senator fuel tank out at the moment waiting on an Ebay fuel pump to arrive.
My tank is 232mm thick, see picture. The tank is sitting flat on two saw stools and with a piece of metal on top of tank to take the measurement.
Hope this helps.
refvpsenator
did you replace the low pressure in tank pump, or high pressure pump outside fuel tank ?
the reason I ask is I need to replace the in tank pump and sender, hose, haven't tested the outside pump yet but will most probably upgrade this as well, and was interested to know which pumps you purchased, if you have a link you could send

I need to also get under car and check condition of fuel lines as may need to upgrade these as well
the holden is only 200kw (270hp) , however once I get to front of car and if engine needs a rebuild may decide to add some more inches, or power adder to the 304, so cant see me going over 300kw
In which case I was thinking if fuel lines are stuffed, may upgrade to 3/8" (9.5mm), and be done with it

What size fuel line do I need? (summitracing.com)

refvpsenator

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp senator
Cheers BJF66, Mate the Senator only has the intank pump no external pump. I believe this is original as all the hoses were stuffed and the pump I pulled out was a VDO brand pump.
1.. The breather hose on my tank was 16mm inside diameter.
2.. The two hoses adjacent to the breather outlet were 3/16 inside diameter.
3.. Internal submersible tank hose is 5/16 inside diameter.
4.. Return hose to tank from hard fuel one is 5/16. Still can read 092591 KV-BR 5/16 GM6163-M on this hose.
5.. Hose that fits to pump hard line input on pump is 5/16 inside diameter
6.. Hoses each side of filter is 5/16.
Pic shows the pump I pulled out. The new pump has not arrived yet my Ebay listing shows heading to Thuringowa for the last SEVEN days Australia post snail mail. It left Melbourne 31/3/2020. I bought it from Tuffcarparts Moorabbin Victoria.
If I can help with anything else let me know. Best regards Gazza

Attachments

• senator fuel tank 3.jpg
    senator fuel tank 3.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 475