Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn v8 mace cam kits

Andreas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn v8 spac
Anyone know anything about the mace cam kits for Vn v8 are they any good looking at getting the stage 2 kit

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Please beware when posting new threads they are in the correct section. I have moved the thread to the appropriate area.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Anyone know anything about the mace cam kits for Vn v8 are they any good looking at getting the stage 2 kit
From memory that cam is the crow 4502 which is supposed to be the bees knees in a stock 5.0
But I heard the mace memcal tune still leaves a bit on the table and would benefit from a Dyno tune.

I am running that same cam (which I also got from mace) in a moded 5.8ltr, but I haven't tried their tunes myself.

H

harrop.senator

I'd be looking at one of the lunati grinds , newest technology on the market and they're quite different on paper to the run of the mill crow and crane we've had the past 25 years.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'd be looking at one of the lunati grinds , newest technology on the market and they're quite different on paper to the run of the mill crow and crane we've had the past 25 years.
I’d tend to stick with an Aussie company for an Aussie engine. The Americans are unlikely to put in the R&D for an old 304 that wasn’t available in their own country.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I've got a MACE chip and it gives me a fair bit more power, especially mid range. I'm happy with it for the road, but I'm not looking for max power.

H

harrop.senator

I’d tend to stick with an Aussie company for an Aussie engine. The Americans are unlikely to put in the R&D for an old 304 that wasn’t available in their own country.

How much r and d do you think was done specifically for the 304? You don't think maybe they found some things that worked , why they worked and did other things similar to fill the gap?

With durations similar to each other you've only got timing and lift to worry about. The new love profiles by lunati have more lift than the old crow and crane.

They also have reverse and standard split. Reverse to help the tpi style banana intake manifold cheat the low compression and out of breath.

Or the other direction because cold air flows easier than hot air and the VN exhaust ports don't work as well as intake.

They even do straight symmetrical grinds.

Almost every single camshaft if you look at the timing cards for a Holden is based on SBC opening and closing and just with some duration difference in the middle no-how.

Andreas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn v8 spac
I've got a MACE chip and it gives me a fair bit more power, especially mid range. I'm happy with it for the road, but I'm not looking for max power.
Do you have the same kit in your car if so what does it sound like is it lumpy

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Not the cam, I've had the car for 28 years and I want to keep it for a while yet- the factory cam is OK by me.
It does sound a bit lumpy with the Redback exhaust, the teenage blokes fuelling at the other pumps in the servo keep asking me what's in it.

Reactions: Lex