Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN V8 Missing when low on fuel

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Ey guys been trying to figure out why my car is missing constantly, I changed the plugs/leads and a full service on the car. Still had the problem, so tryd to pin point what cylinder was missing by taking off the power clip from the injectors one by one, and noticed the idle was more lumpy/grumpy on number 5 and 7. And have pritty much left it how it is at the moment.

Put 30 litres in last night, and seemed it didnt miss and had my lost power back. Later on in the night when the fuel started to get low(quarter on the gauge) and it had started to miss again.

So now im thinking its more fuel related, greenfoam who has been a great help trying to pinpoint were the problem is coming from has said it may well be a cracked hose letting air in the system causing it to miss.

Though has anyone else had this sort of problem? and any help on this would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Fuel pressure related? If theres a cracked hose then there should be a fuel leak?

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Yeah well you think there would be a fuel leak, but when I ran the car on stands after fitting a new fuel filter I couldnt see/smell any fuel. Just seems it is fuel related as it runs good when theres 20+ litres in the tank.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Nah the problem would be inside the tank at whatever fuel level the problem starts at, do you have the twin pump setup on it or single?

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Not sure dude, though I do know it has an external pump if that helps!

Also when you take the cap off to fill up fuel, you cant hear the pressure releasing from the tank.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Not sure dude, though I do know it has an external pump if that helps!

Also when you take the cap off to fill up fuel, you cant hear the pressure releasing from the tank.

Yeah two pumps then, one of them might be dodgy, it should be something wrong in that area anyway

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If it's only when you are turnin is a problem with the surge tank, with the pump not being line up right or part of the tank come loose etc. But just anytime at low fuel levels will be something different

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Yeah two pumps then, one of them might be dodgy, it should be something wrong in that area anyway

I can hear it prim when I turn the key, ill have a look tommorow anyway. How can I tell if one them is buggered?

Cheers guys