Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn V8 Oil Leak HELP!!

gelousi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
Hey guys im a newby to the fourm and in need of some help! I recently noticed a oil leak somewere from the intake manifod. It woulda make its way down the gearbox onto one of the exhaust pipes and burn oil smells really bad when i thrash it. I pulled off the fuel rail and injectors before to get a greater look at whats going on. One of the bolts for the manifold was loose so ive nipped them all up but still leaks oil. Could it be possible to come from the dizzy or somewere around there any help would be great before i pull the engine apart!

thanks in advance

vq rat

vq rat
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn bt1 burnout weapon
i would be looking more at the rocker cover gasket they always leak and the allen key bolts that hold them down rattle loss over time too or the cork gasket on the rear of the manifold can leak if you are replacing it don't put new cork ones on the ends use a ultra Gery sealant it works a lot better

gelousi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
ive already changed both the rocker cover gaskets there fine, do i have to take the manifold off to use the sealant? thanks

jason75

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp berlina 5.0
exactly how much oil is coming out ?
it does sound like a rocker cover gasket problem like vq rat said but we need to know how much oil is coming out.
there is a rubber gasket you can get instead of cork ,bit more expensive but work perfect !!
you can buy a metal glue you can put over your leaking manifold if thats what you think it is ,you mix it together and it dries into like steel..i had an air leak on my manifold on my old vn calais v8 and instead of replacing the manifold gasket i mixed the metal glue up and worked spot on.

vq rat

vq rat
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn bt1 burnout weapon
if you used cork rocker cover gaskets fit the rubber ones as they seal a lot better, To do the manifold gasket yes you do need to remove the manifold easy job and if the car has a few km's on it, it's worth doing as the gaskets as they will suck in to the ports over time and air leaks will be a problem

gelousi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
when i first noticed the leak i thought it was the rocker cover gaskets but i bought new ones and they were rubber which was already on there, Not much leaks if you cruise around but the moment the revs are up high it will just burn it because it runs down the box now im also thinking if its not the manifold could it possible be from the dizzy because all around there just looks black as like its had this leak for a while.

vq rat

vq rat
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn bt1 burnout weapon
sounds like the manifold my car did the same the dick that put the come manifold on before i got the car didn't seal the ends and would only leak when ya revved it the oil return from the heads rnus at the back of the block and more revs = more oil up the top end and if its not sealing it will come out the back, the dizzy only has a small paper gasket and there is no oil pressure to force it out up there thake ya engine covers off have the car running and with a mirror and light look around the back if it is the manifold some times ya can see small oil bubbles from the corner

gelousi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
yeh i went passed autobarn n the guy said it would most likely be at the back of the manifold theres a cork gasket i bought the whole set for the manifold n **** but it comes with a cork one. should i use that sealant stuff instead of the cork or both? cheers for ur help guys

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I usually just coat the cork gaskets on both sides, haven't had aleak from mine doing that but the most important think is making sure the gasket stays lined up when you put the manifold back on which means reaching around there with your fingers and pushing it back in :). I've not tried VQ rats non gasket theory but you can try that, if anyones cars were ever going to get a leak it would be his. When you're cleaning old gasket off the faces on the head cover up all the holes and use a scraper don't use sandpaper (you don't want the aluminium oxide in your engine)

gelousi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
ok awsome ill use the cork n seal at the same time hopefully ill do it on wed if i get a chance n let use know how i go wish me luck its the problem :) haha