Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn vers vr minor mods

vks

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn 3.8 S pack
hey guys quick question, i have a vn commodore series 1 and my m8 has a vr series 2 both engines r standard apart from my vn has a cold air intake and a sports rear muffler, my m8's vr has a pod, air restrictor taken out of the intake and a straight pipe instead of a rear muffler both auto's. Im curious who would come in front out of my car and his, any comments would be appreciated

cheers chris

vks

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn 3.8 S pack
thanx stocky much appreciated

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The gearbox has the same ratios VN-VE, it's never changed apart from going electrotech in the VR :).

Vks, if the VN isn't broken it should win, but the VR isn't as slow as some people would liek to think, him having a POD and you having a CAI will give you an extra handfull of KW so you should get there. The rear muffler wont matter since the air is allready cooled down and going slow by then

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I agree greenfoam, why people think VR's are slow, I reckon Wheels magazine is to blame. I said in previous forums that I beat a BMW 528i 3 times, and looked like no one believed me.

I reckon for cars this age, the condition of the engine will matter the most!

vks

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn 3.8 S pack
My vn has done 294 000 but the engine has been rebuilt , it drives like a dream i mentioned in another thread that i got into high 7's with a pod. Thanks guys for all ur help ill let u guys know 2morrow who wins.

cheers chris

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
There was a guy on the forums ages ago that had stock VR and run 15.65 on the 1/4 mile after he did a couple adjustments to make sure it was running perfectly. In theory a VN with a CAI should take that but in the real world 95% of the VN's on this forum are not running as well as they should and wouldn't do a 15.5. Then again I doubt most of the VR's on here would run a 15.65 either.

holden007 yep that wheels time is a shocker, I know a guy that fairly accuratly timed his VR wagon to a 7.9 0-100 about 5 years ago so they are pretty much on a par with the VN/P as you would expect since they have almost the exact same motor and are only slightly heavier

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
this reminds me greenfoam, your lexcen, have you got details about what youve done to it exactly? i wouldnt mind a 0-60 time of 7 seconds

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah, it has
Throttle body: chopped stopper and idle stopper so that it can open 100%, smoothened all the inside of the TB, cut down shaft, knife edged butterfly (still has a tiny flat section to seal properly).

Manifold-throttle adapter: matched to both ends and smothened.

Manifold: match ported, cut down injector lumps things

VS CAI: Been attacked with a heat gun to open much wider, all rubbers infront of it removed, sealed to the airbox with tape, airbox sealed. Matched up the alloy trumpet that leaves the airbox (it had the gasket hanging out in the airflow)

Memcal: Custom memcal

Everything else is stock, well really everything is stock, just been fixed to how it should have been, pity I never had the heads or exhaust off, it would have been faster then. You wouldn't think any of those things would make a difference but it all adds up. Also remember I was still running a 30kg or more towbar on the back.

I reckon I could get another .2 out of it now that I'm smarter with some smoothing in the exhaust let alone the heads

Last edited: