Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN/VP Intermediate Shaft

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Hey all. Quick question. Will an intermediate shaft from a VP fit a VN? As in are they the same length? Im thinking so, but better double check.

Reason is I had a bit of an issue when fitting the lower clamp (to rack). My VP manual specifies 23-30 Nm (17-22 lb/ft). So I tightened them to 20 lb/ft. I then noticed the clamp has bent right around the shafts with the bolts also bent. Oops obviously too much :p. I had a look at the shaft in our VP wagon to compare and noticed it only had one bolt with the shaft end acting as the clamp. I like that idea better. Less to go wrong :).

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
There a different design arnt they? One being round and one being squareish?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
The shaft itself on my VN is round. The end of the shaft is semi-round and splined. They "looked" the same in comparison.

Or does anyone have a VN manual and can tell me the correct torque specs? :)

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Well Tom was on the right track. Pulled one off a VP at the wreckers and they are square. I just grabbed a new clamp from a VN for now, but if I ever have to take the rack out again I wouldnt mind changing it over to the VP setup. Its just so simpler and 110% fail proof. :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Or change over to the VL setup, with manual steering ;)

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Or that lol. But Im kinda happy with the power steering at the moment. All new pump seals + return line = not a single leak! Degreased the rack and now it looks like no other VN has since they came from the factory :p. EVERY VN/P I saw at the wreckers had caked up racks.

I feel special. :)