Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN - VP Rotating Strut Top Settings Help ?

92 VP SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore SS 1992
Hi Just Commodores users, Im a new member but read many forums on here as they are so useful.

I have a 92 VP SS and have been upgrading all the key bushes, front radius rod chassis and control arm, sway bar and rear crossmember with nolathane and noltec bushes.

Ive now got to the stage where I would like to have a wheel alignment done to zero in my work but prior to doing it I want to give the car its best shot at performing well and have noticed there are 3 possible strut angle settings that can be achieved by rotating the top strut mount.

It appears to me that one setting would be useless, the other improves caster but reduces negative camber and lastly a position that would increase negative camber but reduce caster.
My car is currently set on the one with more caster but less negative camber.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with changing these angles and which strut top setting they would recommend to put it on prior to having my wheel alignment done?

Also what settings improve the stability of the steering on the VP SS Commodore with IRS?

Im sure alot of experimenting has been done on this by members of this forum and would really appreciate any advice .

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
i wouldnt worry about it too much, the wheel aligner will just rotate the strut tops anyway if need be, i'd just leave it the way u set it up already

92 VP SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore SS 1992
Yes good advice, if they spot that something is a miss even if they dont know about the 3 postitions I can advise them. Thankyou

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I'd leave it on the setting with max positive castor as this will make the car feel more stable ina straight line and give the steerign more pull to self centre. These cars don't have much positive castor as manual steering was a delete option. Too much negative camber will make th einside of the heels scrub out.
Some wheel alignment places will adjust each side different to cater for the road camber I would avoid this and ask them to leave it where it is,
A mate of mie did the bearing plates in his VB and had one side set to mas neg camber and it wore out the tyre in a few weeks. Wheel alignment place wanted heaps if they had to rotate the strut tops.

jzt4kikz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman 5.0 - Vn 8plus
I'm a wheel aligner mate and would definantly turn them struts if I noticed something wrong - with standard strut tops you can only have 3 positions as you know already. I personally would have the top of the strut as far back and leaning towards the guard as possible ( to get most positive castor and camber ) * stil negative camber but * to save them tyres - but on the other hand I you have upgraded all your other bushes why didn't you do then?? Haha - if u change your kind I havent seen anything better then the k-Mac full adjusting strut tops that I can use a screwdriver and literally put it angled for castor and camber anywhere you like in a full 360degree rotation, that in mind u pay for convenience and they're around $400 hope that helps

92 VP SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore SS 1992
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I have them set on the setting that has the best caster angle, with slightly less negative camber.. Ultimately I would love to get fully adjustable strut tops but as you say they are $400, I will definiatly go that option when it is time to replace the originals.

jzt4kikz what do you think the best toe in setting would be ? Im thinking .05mm each side to improve stability now that I have the radius rod bushes all upgraded it should not need as much toe in as the wheels wont splay out as much. Well that is my theory anyway.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
i allways set them at max castor its where most shopw set it to unless they drill new holes or slot the old ones like some do