Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN......VP Specifications

wes_v8

WES_VN
Reaction score
Website
streetrides.20.forumer.com
Members Ride
04 Vz Sv6 6 speed
Ok I decided to put this on here.......Sorry if there already is one.....

Holden Commodore / Calais / Vn Series

This was the first commodore model that changed dramatically since the VB. It is Longer, Wider, Better Equipped and More Powerful than the VL. Also With the Vn was the first commodore that came out with power steering standard on all models. The Vn Featured The Buick based engine based 3800 V6 also along with that came the 4 sp auto.

The Models for the Vn were:

Executive
S
SS
Berlina
Calais
VG Ute
VQ Statesman
VN LE
Toyota Lexcen
SS Group A
1989 HSV VN SV5000
1990 HSV VG Maloo
1990 HSV Statesman SV90
SV89
sv3800

-------------------------------

Executive came with v6, 5 speed manual, pwr steering, but u could have had a 4 sp auto, a/c, cruise control or a V8

S was the one up from Executive with had more optional equipment

SS came nearly like an S but with an V8

Berlina was nearly exactly the same as executive but one of the optionals was pwr Windows.

Vactioner had Power mirrors, electric aeriel, full boot carpet, colour coded bumpers and the interior was the grey/red like the ss.

Calais came with V6, 4 sp auto, Bigger brakes, Factory Alloys, Full Boot Carpet(Covering Spare), pwr steering, pwr windows and mirrors but u could choose from a 5 sp man, LSD, Sports Sus, Country Pack Sus, leather upholstery, a/c (climate control), Sunroof.

::: Holden VN SS Group A :::
If full race international Group A homologation specifications were not enough to elevate this final Group A model to instant classic status, then a recession which cut final production to 302 cemented its place in Australian “muscle car” history. It remains the rarest and last of a proud history of homologation race specials. But the big red meanie is no static display piece. The most comprehensive collection of homologation hardware seen in a local performance car gave the roadgoing VN Group A awesome trans-Australia ground covering ability.
The final Group A engine was re-engineered for extra durability and performance with an upgraded four bolt main engine block with special pistons, rods, crankshaft, double row timing chain and myriad other tweaks over the previous Group A to make it bullet proof in endurance races. It was rated at a conservative 215kW which necessitated an equally hefty 6 speed manual transmission, the ZF S6-40, as specified for the Corvette ZR-1. Brakes, wheels and tyres all received attention with the first 17 inch wheel and tyre package on a local production car.
If the hardware was not enough, then the next generation Group A aerodynamic body package cut the VN body’s Cd from 0.34 to 0.30 and transformed the Group A’s appearance.
It was finished in a special rich shade of red dubbed Durif red which recalled the colour of the Portuguese Durif grape variety. The cabin received extra attention with new body-hugging Group A seats. On the track, it was the only international Group A model that could take the battle head to head with the awesome Nissan Skyline GT-R at Bathurst. The VN Group A’s standing 400 metre runs in the mid-14 second range and 0-100km/h times well under seven seconds still stand as performance benchmarks.

The Vn's were released from 88 - 91

VP Commodore

The difference between the VN and the VP was the IRS Sus Was introduced and standard on calais and SS. Also alonmg with the security System was standard on all Models(immboilier with central locking), and the ABS was only an option for a model with V8 or IRS and an option for all Series 2 Models.

These Models were in the Vp range:

Executive
Vactioner
S
SS
Berlina
Berlina LX
Calais
Calais International
Ute
Toyota Lexcen
1992 HSV VP GTS

-------------------------------

Executive was basically the same as the VN.

The Vactioner was a limited edition and a/c and pwr front windows was a standard. the autos came with cruise control and electric aerial, also came with ID Decals, 15 " Wheels, padded headrest and chrome exhaust tailpipes and Special Wheel Covers.

S and SS basically the same as Vn except the VP SS was a v6 but only for New Zealand.

Berlina was about the same as vn

Calais came with all the stuff from VN and a bit of extras like a driver side Glove Box. Only the Vp calais, Calais International and Berlina LX have em.

and the calais international was a limited edition 300 avaliable. These came as White, black or gray. Basically the same as a calais but came with V8, ABS, Leather and Suede inside, Full elec, Sports Kit made up of the SS and Caprice. Also weighed around 1642 kgs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also to tell wat u got here is the model numbers located in the bottom of the windscreen (Depending of Vn or Vp after the V it will be a N or P:

V6:
Executive Sedan : 8VK19
Executive Wagon: 8VK35
Berlina Sedan : 8VL19
Berlina Wagon : 8VL35
Calais Sedan : 8VX19
Utility : 8VK80

V8:
Statesman : 8VY19
Caprice : 8VZ19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this is helpful.....anything i got wrong or u would like to add please add or tell me if i got it wrong. With some info from SircruisealotVS, Str8tup, Subdue, StealthX, DF_Media, GreenFoam, STEALTHY(Purplemonkeydishwasher), Seabs. Thx for sum of that

Last edited:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah,not bad mate....
at first glance i noticed that you said the vn calais came with climate control,but it was actually an option.the vn calais also had bigger brake rotors,factory alloys, optional sunroof and full boot carpet (covers the spare tyre).
i think thats everything...im not tring to be picky,just thought the more accurate the better.

wes_v8

WES_VN
Reaction score
Website
streetrides.20.forumer.com
Members Ride
04 Vz Sv6 6 speed
yeah mate no prob just that i put more stuff on the calais cause own one. Now com eto think of it yeah it was an option, it did have bigger rotors and factory alloys and yeah it did have full boot carpet(wasn't to sure about that but mines go it) thanx for the xtra info......if anyone thinks of anything else put it down

str8up

Reaction score
Members Ride
5spd VN SS
U missed the vn vacationer, i've got one so i'll tell you what it had over the Executive

Power mirrors, electric aeriel, full boot carpet, colour coded bumpers and the interior was the grey/red like the ss. Thats about all i can think of.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
str8up said:
U missed the vn vacationer, i've got one so i'll tell you what it had over the Executive

Power mirrors, electric aeriel, full boot carpet, colour coded bumpers and the interior was the grey/red like the ss. Thats about all i can think of.

Do the vacationers run FE2 suspension? is your car lower than most other VN's? my friend had a VP vacationeer and even though it says the suspension is STD on the plate it was lower than it should have been

str8up

Reaction score
Members Ride
5spd VN SS
Definitly not FE2, I'm almost tempted to put an All Wheel Drive sticker on it

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
What about vn le, lexcen and vn ss group A?

StealthX

Reaction score
Website
www.stealth.nismo.org
Members Ride
HSV VX Clubsport.
err Lexcen was produced by Toyota? wasn't it. Whats the history behind Toyota scammin holden's designs anyway?

::: Holden VN SS Group A :::
If full race international Group A homologation specifications were not enough to elevate this final Group A model to instant classic status, then a recession which cut final production to 302 cemented its place in Australian “muscle car” history. It remains the rarest and last of a proud history of homologation race specials. But the big red meanie is no static display piece. The most comprehensive collection of homologation hardware seen in a local performance car gave the roadgoing VN Group A awesome trans-Australia ground covering ability.

The final Group A engine was re-engineered for extra durability and performance with an upgraded four bolt main engine block with special pistons, rods, crankshaft, double row timing chain and myriad other tweaks over the previous Group A to make it bullet proof in endurance races. It was rated at a conservative 215kW which necessitated an equally hefty 6 speed manual transmission, the ZF S6-40, as specified for the Corvette ZR-1. Brakes, wheels and tyres all received attention with the first 17 inch wheel and tyre package on a local production car.

If the hardware was not enough, then the next generation Group A aerodynamic body package cut the VN body’s Cd from 0.34 to 0.30 and transformed the Group A’s appearance.

It was finished in a special rich shade of red dubbed Durif red which recalled the colour of the Portuguese Durif grape variety. The cabin received extra attention with new body-hugging Group A seats. On the track, it was the only international Group A model that could take the battle head to head with the awesome Nissan Skyline GT-R at Bathurst. The VN Group A’s standing 400 metre runs in the mid-14 second range and 0-100km/h times well under seven seconds still stand as performance benchmarks.

StealthX

Reaction score
Website
www.stealth.nismo.org
Members Ride
HSV VX Clubsport.
wes_v8 has basically specified the Holden made commodores and didn't really get into the HSV Enhanced ones.

In the HSV Range there is also:
1989 HSV VN SV5000
1990 HSV VG Maloo
1990 HSV Statesman SV90
&
1992 HSV VP GTS