Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn vp v6 alternator major issues need help now !!

Spasticaussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn v6 Calais commy
Ok so I'm having problems with my vn v6 with series 2 vp motor alternator/charging system, will only charge once reved up past 3000rpm, have changed all wiring, added more earths, etc this is 3rd alternator and still the ####ing same !!! Have checked brushes/fuses all in and out going wires on alternater, onced reved up charge at 14.4 Volts (at batt ) so alternator and brushes are fine, someone HELP this car is doing my head in also cuts in and out when driving on highway/way to work etc
Never had a battery light on dash, I also have another problem as there is to plugs for alternator, one coming out of loom from computer the other the main loom for alternater when I plug the other plug coming from comp loom I get battery light and radio turns on and off, but still charges 14.4 at battery...
The other plug is the same just no battery light or radio issues.
Doing my head in lol!!! Please help !!

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Is the alternator light on the dashboard working? When this initially comes on it supplies a tickle of current through the alternator to get it going. Then it is running it makes enough so that it can supply it's own excitation current. But it needs that little bit from the globe to get it going first, otherwise you need to rev it up mental fast like you say.

Edit -> re-read your post so now I'm not sure.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i'd suggest working out what the spare plug is off, only other things that are the same are the injectors and cts, but on an 89 vn they shouldn't be anywhere near the alternator...... The plug the lights up the charge light on the dash will be the correct 1, check the wire that goes in the plug that lines up with the "S" on the regulator, this is the sense wire and should have 12 volts with the ignition on, engine doesn't need to be running to check but ignition needs to be on.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
(spit balling here) check that little 2 inch brown wire coming off the positive battery terminal, has a black plug on the end. (called fusable link) maybe has a shitty connection... if theres a break in that wire the alternator dosent charge. ive had a couple broken ones that have caused trouble....