Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN - VP, V8 differences..

Reinhoud

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VP - S
Gents,

I'm thinking of putting a V8 in my VP-s.
Apparently a car doesn't need to be engineerd in Tassie when the V8 comes out of a car what was sold with a V8.
So if I put a V8 from a VP in my VP, it doesn't need to be engineerd.

Are there differences between a VN V8 and a VP V8? Like numbers?
VN V8's are more available as ones from a VP..

Then 2 other questions;
Does the auto (4L60) from the V6 fit a V8? (According to Wikipedia there the same)
Can the V6 rear axle and drive shaft handle the power/torque of aV8?

Thanks for your time and wisdom. ;)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
1. Yes, your correct....if the engine was optional in those cars from factory you don't need engineering

2. All the 5.0's from VN-VS Series II were exactly the same, the VS SIII and VT motors had a few changes. (I have a VN 304 that replaced my VR's dead motor)

3. While the transmissions are still the same model but the V6 ones and V8 ones are different and not interchangeable.

4. The Rear axle/diff from the v6 will be fine for general use (e.g no burnouts, thrashing etc) but you will need a V8 tailshaft as they are slightly different.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Then 2 other questions;
Does the auto (4L60) from the V6 fit a V8? (According to Wikipedia there the same)
Can the V6 rear axle and drive shaft handle the power/torque of aV8?

The 4L60E will bolt up, but you will need to run a VR/VS 5ltr ECU and loom as the box is electronic unlike the VN/VP ones. Not sure if a V6 box will work as apparently the input shaft on the T5 is length specific for the engines, so there might be a bit of trouble there for the auto.

I can't see a stock 5ltr stripping V6 diffs (somebody will probably correct me here), but the 5ltr's all had shot peened diff gears.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
4l60 is a th700r4, late in the production they were renamed.

4l60e is completely different to the above.

The internal mechanical parts of all are basically the same, be it the earlier hydraulic, newer electronic, v6 or v8.

You can't use a v6 trans on a v8 or vice-versa as the bellhousing will not bolt to the engines. Vn/vp/vr and some early vs auto's were a 1 piece casting so there is no provision to change what engine they will suit.

V6 & v8 tailshafts are the same strength, they are different lengths though and not interchangeable, if you chhanged the front half it would work but easier to get a complete suitable tailshaft

Reinhoud

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VP - S
Thanks for the quick replies!

I'll see what I can find... ;)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You can't use a v6 trans on a v8 or vice-versa as the bellhousing will not bolt to the engines. Vn/vp/vr and some early vs auto's were a 1 piece casting so there is no provision to change what engine they will suit.

Do the both of them run the same bolt pattern or is it something else?

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
V6 and v8 diffs are the same gears and centre till vt2 (%99 sure). Just get one of them rebuilt with some 3.7s or 3.9s. wheather you change the gears or not make sure it's lsd (open diffs suck in a v8). Your vp might be irs. If it is you won't be able to use the vn diff.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VN to VT series one all the diff are the same (BW78) for both the V6 and V8 except some HSV models had different ratios and the V8 models had shot peened gears but are still physically the same. Some models had LSD others it was optional. V6 diffs are really just as strong as the V8 counterparts.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Do the both of them run the same bolt pattern or is it something else?

V6 bolt pattern is smaller.

V8 uses the turbo bolt pattern (I even know of a turbo pattern red 308 with a VN/VP th700 bolted behind it and has a manual switch to lock up the converter when cruising)

Torque converters are also different, V8 being larger.

VN/VP trans housings, even though it's blurry (and the v6 is missing a chunk of the bell housing) the difference is still visible.
th700V6V8.jpg

Reinhoud

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VP - S
Gents, I've got another question..

How bad is the fuel consumption of the V8?
My V6 can do 9.5 km on a liter of petrol when I drive it on cruise control on the highway.
I know a V8 uses more, but how much more?

Thanks