Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN/VP V8 distributor

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
yes im pretty sure its a S1 motor 92 july i think it was

ok ill this all wen theres sunlight :) ill get bak to u

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
youll have the ignition fuse under the column on fuse 9 with the guage power does the fuel guage come up when you turn the key on its the same fuse and the one fusable link in the engine bay labelled engine

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
yes the fuel guage works..
and my friend had this problem with hes ford falcon el.
hes car was turning over but no spark.. when he changed hes coil over it started

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
so if the distributor spins its not the distributor?? so its the ignition coil..? coz b4 the car stoped working something smelt like it was burning lol.. so im guessing its that?

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
so if the distributor spins its not the distributor?? so its the ignition coil..? coz b4 the car stoped working something smelt like it was burning lol.. so im guessing its that?

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4

Nope. Even if the distributor spins it could still be rooted. In fact it's unlikely that the distributor would ever develop a fault that would stop it from spinning, it would require some pretty heavy damage to the mechanism. My next step would be to pull the coil and hit it with a multimeter. Should have a very low resistance between the low voltage positive (where the battery hooks on) and the negative terminal and a higher (couple of Kohms) between the high voltage positive (where the distributor lead hooks on) and the negative terminal. If either of those yields an infinite resistance, then your coil is cooked and you have found your problem. If the fault is in the distributor, then my bet would be on the hall effect sensor. But I'd definitely reccomend checking the coil first because it's easy.

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
thanks pandaman. i think its the coil too, thats my next mission to check it out. hopefully its that :)

badberlina5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina 5.0
hey dude let us know how you get on as i have just had the very same thing happen to me. i have been having issues with my 5l surging for a few weeks and a mechanic told me it was caused by the hall effects sensor and or play in the dizzy shaft. (well the shaft did have alot of play in it up an down) so i put a brand new dizzy in (what a mongrel to change) and all went well although it did not resolve the surging issue but then i drove to the shop about 1k from home and the car started to backfire splutter and cough then stalled now it wont restart and has no spark so i would be very interested in how you get on so as to try and resolve my problem. i forgot to mention when it stopped there was a horrible burning smell which seemed to be comming from the cat convertor and abit of smoke aswell.
hope you get it sorted Duane

h0Ld3n`VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO CAR ATM.. -.-
yes that happened to me to 'badberlina5.0" but yea i cant be stufd with it anymore da vn and vp is for sale im buying a new car :)