Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN/VS Central Locking

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive SII - 91' - VX Executive SII - 02'
Long story short, my VN doesn't have Central locking. I've got a VS I use for scraps and was wondering if I was just able to take the Central Locking out of the VS and switch it over to my VN? I know I'd have to run wires through the doors and add the actual actuators to each door, and take the Sending/Receiving unit and plug it in. Would the Sender/Receiver plug right in or will I have to make some Modifications? (I.e are the Pins and such right? Enough space? Or even have to take the Locks off the VS and put them in my VN?)
Anyone done this before and have any tips?

"Edit; Thinking it'd be a heap easier to just change all the locks over to the ones on the VS, boot, ignition etc? Thoughts on this?;

Same questions goes for Electric Windows, a mate has a kit for a VS and I was wondering if it'd fit right in no issues?

If this thread needs to go into electrics or there was one already discussing this issue that I've missed, I'll delete this no problem.

Last edited:

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
the locks themselves arnt the problem. you can take all the locks from a vs and put them on a vn including the ignition. the bcm and keyless entry remote head are a different story. youd have to get wiring diagrams and see what spaghetti needs to be spliced to get that vs bcm wired into your vn. i wonder if anyone on the site has done it...

id think getting vn calais dash and body loom and just swapping it over might be easier. thats what i did to my lexcen. gutted a vn calais for all the looms, power window gear and cluster. if you dont get a remote with it theres a code inside the vn bcm you can use to program a new remote..

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
As above, the parts will go in, Locks, power windows etc. But you will need the VN modules to make it all work.
The power windows have a seperate module in the VN and the central locking and alarm modules are seperate in the VN.

Also the alarm modules change from series 1 to series 2.

The VS uses a BCM to control all of the above.
Do what hi_ryder did and wreck a VN Calais or grab the parts from a wreakers.
Pain in the ass it is to install everything.
Do the window upgrade if you can and them stick aftermarket central locking and an alarm in.

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Would love to rip a Calais apart, but there are no decent wreckers around for an odd 250KM and even then I haven't had much luck in finding anything above a few Series 1 VN's. Central Queensland lacks decent wreckers, which in turn makes things a bit hard ><.

So with my limited supplies I'm unable to even just install the Central Locking? Even if I kept my locks, I'd need the VN Modules to make it work?

Alloytec

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VT SS
In simple terms, too much ####ing around for what its worth... if you want central locking just get a aftermarket style setup installed..

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah was told today, that Supercheap installs and supplies aftermarket Central locking for $100 or so for all 4 doors. Gonna give that a shot, and get a qoute on Power Windows if they do it aswell. Gonna be more costly definitely, but probably worth it over the hassle of installing it all myself and trying to find a donor car for the parts.
Anyone heard or gotten aftermarket central locking installed for them? Any good?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
it dosent have to early vn (aka s1) as long as its a vn calais. if you got stuck into it, could be done in 2 weekends. what helped me was taking pics and labelling plug ends with masking tape to prevent confusion...

that aftermarket central locking **** is just that. its chinese lock actuators all jerry rigged into your doors and the wires wont be going through your factory door looms. they poke them through your rubber gourmets at the bottoms of your doors. its the exact setup i ripped out of my vn lexcen before it got the calais donor stuff. i rather have nothing than that tiawan crap. plus if you want power windows you still need the electric regulators even if your going aftermarket rigging...

Last edited:

VN SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fair point, guess I'll have to travel around a bit when I have a weekend off to find a wreckers with a Calais. Haven't seen many at all in my area even on the road (250KM or so surrounding included in that statement). Thanks for the info guys. Just a bit disappointed I can't do it now with what I've got while I'm on paid leave haha.

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
I put VS central locking (and door latches) my VN a while ago. I did use a VN module and wiring behind the dash and VS door looms. The VS wiring is slightly different, normal VN looms have 3 wires going to the lock, VS has 5. However I wired it up to how a VN works and have no issues.

The bonus of using a genuine set-up over the after market is the deadlock function. (BTW I have a VN/P central lock module in my spares :) )

Also a little trivia, VN use two different types of central locking; early ones have a seperate lock which screws to the door frame and a rod runs to the latch while the later ones have the lock and latch combined.

Andyaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN sv5000
I put VS central locking (and door latches) my VN a while ago. I did use a VN module and wiring behind the dash and VS door looms. The VS wiring is slightly different, normal VN looms have 3 wires going to the lock, VS has 5. However I wired it up to how a VN works and have no issues.

The bonus of using a genuine set-up over the after market is the deadlock function. (BTW I have a VN/P central lock module in my spares :) )

Also a little trivia, VN use two different types of central locking; early ones have a seperate lock which screws to the door frame and a rod runs to the latch while the later ones have the lock and latch combined.