Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN-VS - Change gear selector LED

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
ey guys, i know this is a kinda old thread, but i changed my light yesterday to blue, just by getting one of those blue condom thingys n sticking it over the normal white globe in there, but my gears are still lighting us green? why and how do i fix this? if it can be fixed!
Thankz

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
nick88 said:
ey guys, i know this is a kinda old thread, but i changed my light yesterday to blue, just by getting one of those blue condom thingys n sticking it over the normal white globe in there, but my gears are still lighting us green? why and how do i fix this? if it can be fixed!
Thankz

Because the gear selector plate is what gives the colour, you need to modify this before it will shine blue.

Im not 100% sure if this is correct, but i do know for sure that the gear selector plate is what gives the green colour, not the globe.

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Yeah, hes right its the plate that gives the colour, its got the green paint stuff on the back of the plate. My mate just bought red leds for his and it looks really bad with the green plate and it hardly light up at all so he scraped the stuff off the back of the plate carefully but its pretty dodgy lol. Probly best to buy a custom plate off ebay or sumthin. Unless someone has a proper way of doing this?

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
yea i had a feeling that it would have green on the back of it, theres gotta be something to do that gets rid of it n looks pretty good

Butso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
haha this took me 2 hours to figure out in the dark, i could find the led from underneath but i couldn't figure out how to take the console out for ages =) its all good now . lol .

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
This applies to a VN series 1, not sure about VR, VS etc
The light is not an LED it's a normal incandescent globe, just take it out and go to Coventrys / Repco / wherever and they'll match it.. Very common globes, cheap to replace (like under a dollar for mine).

A word of warning: the colours you see are due to coloured filters which the white light passes through, so be careful when deciding to put a coloured globe / sleeve in there because the result may not be what you wanted.

Also, if you replace the globe and it occaisionally stops working (like mine) check that you've seated it properly in the socket, I thought I had but it needed pushed down more.

Hope this helps
Sam

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
i just did this, i scratched the green off the back, any spots i scratched to much i painted over with touch up paint, then i put cheap blue electrical tape over it, now it lights up blue, best mod!

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
got a pic Keesh?