Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN-VS - Change gear selector LED

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
yess i do
but its in the daylight, ill take sum pics tonight! As i was saying in another section, the only gay thing about this is that the globe is directly under 'D' so its brighter than P and R but im going to cut off the globe and wire in blue Leds, or spray the inside of the white suround with that cheap plastic chrome spray from autobarn, so it reflects more light.. cheers to the dude who strted this thread, its alot better thatn dingy green, next im going to do the parker globes and then the dash!

Attachments

• 05-03-06_0235.jpg
    05-03-06_0235.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 823
  • 05-03-06_1332.jpg
    05-03-06_1332.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,044

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
it looks reeli light blue in this pic, but i fixed that with another layer of blue tape.. replacing the globe with leds is on the list though!.. um another thing u hav to do is take the little green plastic bit off the long rubber bit that slides in and out (attached to the lever) and also reblace that with blue tape, other wise ur PRNDD21 will b blue but the selector bit will still b green.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Heres a pic i just took at night, it looks bright in the pic but thats the shitty phone camera.. looks really good, but like i was saying before, its too bright on D and not bright enuff on P but looks reeli good.. the girls will like it im sure!

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
sorri heres the pic

Attachments

• 05-03-06_2036.jpg
    05-03-06_2036.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 532

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I'll give it a shot, take to work and have a go with it, go at it with some 2000free falling pads, and just take off the green, then leave it clear and i'll do a tray of 6 blue led's same as i did my calais cluster lcd's

Cheers
MaT

P.S- New idea i have a bunch of BLUE/RED=Purple Bi-Color 3mm led's thinkinga about 1led to each gear... So it's all blue but where the shifter is that specific one lights up red :)

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
yer i wanted to do the same, but even now its distractingly bright(scuse the spelling) so i desided against it, all you would need is like 2 leds. stuck to the underneith, facing down so its reflects off the white.. i just put leds in the roof light and passenger door lights.. whole cars blue now -tested them in northlands carpark broO and had all the muzzas there drooling!

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
i think i saw the thread of the dash lights, but i cant find it, can u post a new one or show me the link or sumthing, i wanna do mine! are u allowed to change the cluster colours leagally?

sicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS - Series 2 / Karma
Hey dude,

I like your console colour!! did you do that yourself or was it pro done? I only ask as i didmine white & it came up great, except for the console itself, had little 'holes' etc....

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
the globe in the selector is the same as some of those used in the instrument cluster. It isn't an LED but a regular globe. The rear of the cluster is illuminated by a wedge type globe that fits into a twist out fitting.
Then there are the warning lights that can be accessed from under the dash some how. They are the same smaller wedge type globe that fits into the selector light fitting. the warning lights nin the cluster twist out and you can then remove the small globe from the fitting.

Changing the colour of your interior lights is only illegal if you can't see them.
Those silicon sleaves are fitted to many cars from factory, the old Subarus were one such car. You can get them from Repco, Supercheap and just about all car accesory places for a dollar or two per pack. I have fitted orange sleaves onto all my interior globes, including those in the headlamp switch and wiper switch. Even through the factory green colour in the plastic lenses it shines orange.

the orange is much more comfortable on the eyes at night than the green, red or blue but doesn't look as cool as red or blue. Useing blue sleeves will darken the lights a little as the factory green works against it a little, and so did red.

Useing LEDs to replace these globes is expensive and can give "hotspots" on the dash cluster. there are some fantastic how to's on this.
Overall in the interior, Holden only uses three types of globes in VN-S. festoon globes in the glove box and interior door lights, the small wedge globes like in the gear selector (same used in AC switch, warn lights and other switches) and the bigger wedge type found in the back of the cluster.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
the little blue sleeves dont actually create a blue colour when the light is on, so dont b fooled into buying them, orange may work but blue is used in fords to dim down the colour ov the globe inself, giving more ov a faded yellow dash colour, if u have alook at the instruments on an EF falcon u will c wat im talking about.. using LEDS isnt that haed if u no how to use a soldering iron