Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN-VS - Change gear selector LED

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
heh the contrast looks better in the photos with the LED's dimmed

will have to replace my selecter light some day it went a while back

bmxer100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Acclaim
Thanks heaps for posting this, I just replaced my blown globe with a blue-green super bright LED with a ceramaic resistor, wasn't hard and only took roughly 20 mins. Without this it would have taken a whole lot longer. Thanks again guys.

Jamsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBA
Yea Nail Polish Remover should take the green off the gear selector plate.

Burt_vn

Back in the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VG V8 5spd, 400hp 5spd soarer, vq stato
any tips on taking off the green tinting without rubbing through to the white so easily, then when taking off the white...trying not to take off the black as well lol. Ive managed to make mine red at night, and it looks exactly the same as it did stock during the day, but my first attempt i ended up stripping the black backing off.. so i went and bought a couple of the plates from the wreckers and yeah just wondering if theres an easier way to take off the tinting..i tried sanding it with some P800, that worked alright

skywalka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Infus10n, thanx heaps 4 showing me how to do this.

When I take my car to get serviced I keep forgetting to tell the mechanic to replace it. They should check anyway in my opinion but they don't. It feels very satisfying to have done this myself.

Also, the lights behind my airconditioning dials need to be replaced. Can anybody tell me how to replace them?

Thanx.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
ok ive tried this, puttin a LED in tha spot, but ended up blowin a fuses, bcause i couldnt really c which leg was meant 2 go were, but then i realized tha plastic that says tha gears is green tinted, so evn if i put a blue LED in isnt it goin to still shine through green??
and can u use LEDs or buy that globe in blue? cause i duno which is positive and neg, no space 2 really c in

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
any tips on taking off the green tinting without rubbing through to the white so easily, then when taking off the white...trying not to take off the black as well lol. Ive managed to make mine red at night, and it looks exactly the same as it did stock during the day, but my first attempt i ended up stripping the black backing off.. so i went and bought a couple of the plates from the wreckers and yeah just wondering if theres an easier way to take off the tinting..i tried sanding it with some P800, that worked alright

so u can still see the blue part in D? mine still was "stock" coloured at day(red reverse and blue D but at night is blue, so i nightshaded it and clearcoated it so that its black in the day and blue at night

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
ok ive tried this, puttin a LED in tha spot, but ended up blowin a fuses, bcause i couldnt really c which leg was meant 2 go were, but then i realized tha plastic that says tha gears is green tinted, so evn if i put a blue LED in isnt it goin to still shine through green??
and can u use LEDs or buy that globe in blue? cause i duno which is positive and neg, no space 2 really c in

With leds, the longer leg is the positive. Remember to use a voltage drop resistor though, you cant just drop a normal led into a 12v socket. Will kill the led. You can pick up globes that are coloured and designed to work off 12V. Check places like jaycar and ebay. The light is still going to have to go through the gear selector face, which has a green film. Depending on how bright the light is, you will get mixed results. Some people say that the blue is strong enough to drown the green colour, you will just have to try and see what you think. Otherwise, you can purchase a new gear selector face from the same people that sell the instrument cluster faces.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Also, the lights behind my airconditioning dials need to be replaced. Can anybody tell me how to replace them?

Thanx.

Hey bud,

Just to help you in future, start a new thread in the VR/VS forum, you will get a heap of answers really quickly.

First off you need to take the air con switch out. Have a look through this guide:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=12428

The guide was written for the instrument cluster, but the procedure to get the air con switch is the same.

Once the switch is out, have a look on the top. There are two bulbs in the air con, one for indication (when the air con is on, the round light comes on) and one for display (at night when lights are on so you can see the switch).

From the top you should see two small round, lets call them screw heads. You will need a small flat blade screwdriver or similar. They twist 90 degrees and come out.

They are small and unusal, take them down to repco or similar and they will be able to help you out.

Summer-Sickness

2005 VZ EXEC
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
you need to get a new sticker made up for the plate, without the green obviously, i seen a pretty funky one in a post somewhere (cant remember exactly what thread, but do a search on changing the gear selector LED if you wanna see it),... anyway the guy got a new sticker made up and at the bottom he got the holden lion so the blue LED shines thru the lion too, looked really good. i'll be attempting this shortly, after i do the power windows LED's.