Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] VN-VS & HQ-HZ V8 Ultimate Thermo Fan Conversion Guide (AU/Mondeo/BF/FG) PLUS 120a ALTERNATOR UPGRADE

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I ended up having the radiator reconditioned, replaced the water pump and sealed the thermo fans to the radiator with some high density foam I got from bunnings. It seems to run cool in all 38+ degree standstill traffic with the A/C on now too which is awesome.

BUT I have come across another problem. With all the A/C, thermos running on high and headlights on the stock 85 amp alternator can't keep up. I've since purchased a VT 120A alternator to fit, and since the VT uses a serpentine belt and has a shorter alternator shaft, ill need to have a pulley machined to suit the VS. Hopefully I'll be able to get that done in the next couple of weeks.

I'll try to remember to update this thread with more pics shortly. Also, the A/C currently triggers the LOW speed, but it needs to trigger the high speed. Otherwise the temp creeps up, the high speed pulls the temp down and the temp keeps cycling. I'm hopefully having the temps adjusted in the tune. Which means that I'll have to buy another temp switch for the low speed but that's no big deal (around $30).

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
i found the VT Alternator is no good as they hit the chassis rail, or are way too close for it not to hit once the engine would be started, Holdens actually used the same body alternator on late model VS police cars which is 120amp, with a different pulley for V belt- but the bracket for this type from holden is non existent (been told there's no different part number for this type), the stock VS one is different, although can be modified- which i did, pretty sure i still have it in the shed

i ended up getting a standard type V8 which had been rewound to 120amp, and it fitted straight up, as its the same housing as the 85amp type and works fine

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
i found the VT Alternator is no good as they hit the chassis rail, or are way too close for it not to hit once the engine would be started, Holdens actually used the same body alternator on late model VS police cars which is 120amp, with a different pulley for V belt- but the bracket for this type from holden is non existent (been told there's no different part number for this type), the stock VS one is different, although can be modified- which i did, pretty sure i still have it in the shed

i ended up getting a standard type V8 which had been rewound to 120amp, and it fitted straight up, as its the same housing as the 85amp type and works fine
Damn, more work lol. Gotta hand it to you mate, every problem I've come across with my 304 is something you've already dealt with and found a solution for. It's certainly made my life easier!

Looks like I'll be modding the bracket. Do you remember what you had to do from memory?

And did you find that the stock alternator couldn't keep up with the thermos too?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I had none of these dramas running the FG big single just saying :p Mind you it was high speed only but wasn't ever loud enough to be an issue.

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
85amp one with the thermo was ok during daytime aslong as you dont get stuck in traffic, so the rev's could stay up but was a different story when the car was out at night and headlights were needed

on the stock VS bracket, using the 120amp larger housing bosch unit that is the same type as VT, you need to trim off about 10mm by memory from the top mount that hinges the alternator (the alloy bracket) not a real difficult job, i just trimmed it up with a hacksaw and cleaned it up with a file

also tried modding a VT alternator bracket that has a tensioner pulley but even after cutting down the bracket, it was still to big and i ended up using rewound type alternator

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hi-Outpu...hash=item1eae978ccf:m:mu8t-FLfIVfz_x6-Yimw_4A

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alternat...219618?hash=item41b1b3b862:g:n6AAAOSw9IpXxQj8

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alternat...216477?hash=item41b1b3ac1d:g:QY0AAOSw9IpXxAO9

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
I had none of these dramas running the FG big single just saying :p Mind you it was high speed only but wasn't ever loud enough to be an issue.

i currently run that setup, single speed, works a heap better than the AU fans i use to run

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
i had it all working for weeks before I got stuck in traffic for 3 hours because of a car accident on the Hume which was down from 4 lanes to 1 in peak hour (and I didn't even have any lights on). That's the only reason I found out that my alternator was inadequate. The BF/FG fan wouldn't have been any better in this case. As I said though, I was actually looking for a bf fan when I came across the mondeo's lol

I looked at those alternators and inquired about the output and they apparently only put out around 35a at idle which probably isn't any different to what I already have. I've read that the factory bosh 120a alternators put out a lot more at idle than the after market ones, but haven't seen any solid proof of this. I'll pull it all apart again (maybe tomorrow) and try to get a better idea of what I need to do to get it to fit.

I've only just bought the VT alternator so kinda want to make it work lol

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
mine's been ok, see how you go i guess

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I knew the alternator was fine as I tested it thoroughly through all different load scenarios because I didn't want to deal with an over heating car.

See how you go though.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I made a VT alternator fit on the VS. I took the alternator apart and rotated the rear housing to get the cable connection points at a better angle.

The VT alternator also has the 2nd mounting ear that you can cut off. Mine still has it on and it gets really close to the chassis rail but it's never touched. I stuffed around with the pulley's and some spacers I made up to make it all line up and work.

If you look on the body of the alternator it should tell you what the various outputs are. I think the standard 85amp alternator will have on it 35/85 14.4 which means 35amp low output, 85 amp high output rated at 14.4 volts.