Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] VN-VS & HQ-HZ V8 Ultimate Thermo Fan Conversion Guide (AU/Mondeo/BF/FG) PLUS 120a ALTERNATOR UPGRADE

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Thanks immortality, I've got a pulley that'll work. Going to machine it down tonight so it'll fit. Good to know I can rotate the housing too!

Pics to follow.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah can either chop alternator bit or file down alternator bracket untill slots in...getting the v pulley is pain as it's different to 85a & earlier alternators as 120A is internal fan thing...never knew about clearance to rail issue but could always try kingswood alternator bracket which tuck them closer to head(found out works nicely for early commodores/battery in bay clearance)

Bosch 120a or factory vs/vt v8 punch out 60-70 amps at idle..careful if different brand ebay mongrels sell copies not meant for automotive use that are hopeless & unsuitable as few guys on av8 found out.

That being said I ran 85a on torrie with twin au fans,battery in boot no issues...want 120a on next car but seems either correct 120a bosch is scarce to find or none have the v pulley for them.

Luckily bloke up here is converting ls mitsubishi 140A alternators to fit efi 5 litres

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Alternator pulley is all machined and bolted on. Just need to work on fitting the alternator now. I may even have a kingswood bracket somewhere here if it's needed.

I was reading that thread about the Bosch alternators for stationary engines putting out no power at idle lol. I bet that's fooled a few people. I'd like to know what Subaru the housing comes from for the ls1 alternator conversion. 140a would be good.

It's just that they push it over the edge when I switch the a/c on and the battery starts to lose power at low rpm. The 85a is certainly up to the task if you're not likely to sit in heavy traffic, or it's in an older vehicle that doesn't have so many components draining current.

I'm sure Holden was very precise in matching the current draw of the components to the alternator output in those old efi v8's. Shame they didn't leave any headroom.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Well yeah 85a was for all the v8 efi models still mechanical fan except vn v6...later v6 models think they had different ratings for single then twin thermofan cars untill vt finally got 120a (ironically best yet least stocked or over-priced)

But yeah do like bit of overkill going to 120A-140A alternators when want to get most out of a car & peace of mind.

Will probably end up with ls alternator after got told genuine bosch with v pulley end up costing more...also now on bf or vs v6 thermofan are my go to choice for their easy fitment

Last edited:

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Nice write up. I'm trying to figure out what radiator to use on my VK LS3. Thinking about using a VK V8 one with AU/EL thermos, but might look at a BF thermo as well.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If got chunky factory vb-k tiebar under radiator vs thermofan or mondeo with modded radiator...to fit au-bf or whatever chosen would require few hours chopping & reweld of tiebar & still limited in choice of radiators/fans
^^ The locating pins on bottom sit in diffferent location to later cars & lower hose is up higher near rail.

Or change tiebar to vl-vs can fit vl 6cyl radiator for outlets on same side or choice of alloy vn-vs v6 radiators or even copper v8 too that will take whatever fan choice but bf single rates highly although vs v6 thermo does the job too.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
I've spoken to a guy who's got an LS1 in his VK and he runs a VK 6 cylinder radiator with AU thermos and he gives his car a flogging and it never gets hot. His outlets are on the right sides and he was able to get hoses to fit straight on with only a small trim.

There's so many different variations that people have used, I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't involve a heap of cash or modifications. All suggestions are welcome, haha. From the looks of it, my main aim is to get the right thermos and make sure they're mounted properly

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Most setups will work..it's just correct combination of parts that fit & if pedantic looks neatest.

vb-k copper radiator with slimmer vs v6 thermofan simplest of all...2 screws on top

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'd say the all-alloy LS engines are relatively easy to keep cool compared to the cast iron aussie engines. I'd definitely go for a single or mondeo's for an early commodore in that case.