Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] VN-VS & HQ-HZ V8 Ultimate Thermo Fan Conversion Guide (AU/Mondeo/BF/FG) PLUS 120a ALTERNATOR UPGRADE

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Nice write up on the 120amp alternator Eyy.
Never noticed flat-top airbox on s3 v8 like yours before only see the curved ones.

Yeah found same thing not being able to find one with v pulley.Supposed to be 'universal' part & for some reason very few if any stock them...crazy price range from $250-$500 yet none would confirm genuine bosch lol

As an aside for early girl commo's although 120a alternator physically bigger think these fit easier in vb-k as v pulley has no external fan blades to hit battery tray clamp when using 85a & efi alternator bracket,guessing similar kingswood item even better.
Using factory non-air con vb-k alloy bracket wont allow 85a to fit let alone 120a version

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Great to have so much info on fitment for different models too!

It's a v6 airbox I hacked up because VS sequential s3 airboxes are like unicorn blood to find. The curvy VS non sequential airbox is too bulky and doesn't leave any room for the MAF sensor. The l67 cold air intake has been moulded at the rear to suit the v8 too (but I don't think it's of any benefit lol).

It's not a series 3, it's actually a 1995 series 1. Not even a roller cam engine. It's also a VT loom and ecu I chopped up and converted to suit the VS lol. Only reason I did it was so I could run sequential vapour injection.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Argh damn had me fooled & I'm another banana tragic.

As you can guess by avatar that's vs s3 195i/getrag with au's jammed into lc gtr.

Agree s1-s2 hsv airbox look better designed & larger but way you did yours still looks same as smaller 2 piece hsv s3 otr just minus curved top.
Seat of pants feel better with them than without for midrange torque & anything better than silly little snorkel on earlier cars.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Just a follow up on the thermo fan/alternator conversions. All is going well, haven't had any problems so far.

Re. The airbox, I've actually got my hands on a stock roller cam airbox now. Never seen one in person, certainly hard to find.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
They're cool to have for maf 5 litre even if 9 out of 10 people have no clue what it is yet you're happy you got one.

The vt 5 litre top is just as hard to find & when you do $$$$$$$$$

It's like a weird fetish haha

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
They're cool to have for maf 5 litre even if 9 out of 10 people have no clue what it is yet you're happy you got one.
Yeah, strange how it works. I have so much **** I don't actually need, but just collect it because it's hard to come across.

Good write up, maybe it should be moved to the How-to section or made a sticky in this section?
Since you have the power now @immortality :rolleyes:

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I've purchased a BF thermo fan as it came up cheap and I've been interested to see how the big single would compare to the smaller twins after reading about the results some of you guys have had with the single. The current setup is working perfectly though and may be transferred onto my 308 HJ when i get around to redoing the engine bay wiring since. The HJ has a commodore radiator, so the thermos will mount in exactly the same way.

Doing some more research, some people say that the mondeo's have slightly less powerful fan motors than el/au fans but most say that the motors are the same. The general consensus is that the BF/FG thermo is considerably better than the twin fans. Of course, the twin fans are the only option where there isn't much room between the water pump and radiator.

Will update this thread with more pics when I make a start on it.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Never tried bf single but do think it's the way to go if you want something gruntier than vs v6 slimline single fan which I think could handle most cars also tbh.

Avatar el fans/vs s3 v8 radiator in lc torana...shitload of work..aside from current draw is blades over lap radiator core.

Any of those thermofan combinations are more than up to the task,almost overkill which is a good thing.

I lean more towards singles like the bf or vs slimline 'cos they do the job & more visually appealing..got to look neat,why else do we spend so much time tinkering on this **** haha

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Use the AC fan wiring and get the parameters changed in the tune. Simple.