Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] VN-VS & HQ-HZ V8 Ultimate Thermo Fan Conversion Guide (AU/Mondeo/BF/FG) PLUS 120a ALTERNATOR UPGRADE

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
Sorry for thread dig. if I wanted to wire the FG fan in my 95 vs statesman to run on high only instead of 2 stage would I have to drill and tap the other hole for the trident sensor? or is there another way apart from the tune? thanks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Ideally you would run it via the PCM and adjust the tune on/off temps to suit.

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
Thanks for the reply so its not something I could do myself I would have to go to a shop?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
You can get replacement memcals with the fan settings tuned for it, you would just need to redo the wiring.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Quick update on this. All is going well, but about 8 weeks ago the twin 25a fuses blew. Checked wiring and all was good. Replaced with 30a fuses and all has been good since.

Fan had been running basically full time with the a/c all summer covering 500km/week - the startup current draw must be very close to 50a. The 60a fused power supply should allow more than enough headroom.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think it's exactly where it belongs in the How-to section.

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
Is this how you would wire up for a fg fan in a 95 series 1 vs statesman? Do they have the option for thermos on the pcm? Then get it changed in my kalmaker tune to change the on and off temp is this right? Thanks.

20180429_214136.jpg

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If it’s been tuned with kalmaker software then yes. Info is in the second post of this thread r.e wiring but your example looks correct. Don’t use a 30a relay unless you want a fire lol

Mines a 95 s1 too - the loom didn’t change on the body side throughout the vs models.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Mounted another FG fan to an alloy VS radiator, but upside down this time. This means that you can retain the factory cold air intake due to the shape of the shroud. It sits level with the top of the radiator when upside down.
Reo5Epn.jpg

X31Bdmp.jpg

Last edited: