Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] VN-VS & HQ-HZ V8 Ultimate Thermo Fan Conversion Guide (AU/Mondeo/BF/FG) PLUS 120a ALTERNATOR UPGRADE

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
That's the way I do them so looks neater with wiring down bottom.

One day might chop topcover of vn-vs shroud for top part of radiator to make it look neater...although fancy flat piece of carbon fibre or alloy would be cool too.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yep plan to make a flat panel from either plastic or alloy to fill that section. Leaning towards polished alloy strip

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
HQ-HZ BF/FG Single Fan
After reading some great reviews on the cheap $150 alloy radiators on ebay and seeing heaps of them fitted to cars at events I decided to buy one. The one I got is a GPI/Worley radiator, and I'm pretty sure they're all from the same factory regardless of what they brand them as.

Most people fit the AU fans to these radiators, so I purchased a set of AU's. However, I wasn't impressed with the fitment. They obviously work, but after making a quick comparison I decided that the FG fan was easier to mount and looked neater overall. The only issue is that you lose the ability to utilise the trans cooler built into the radiator which doesn't bother me.

AU fans sitting on radiator. Need to cut a fair bit away to gain access to the lower radiator outlet. Also more difficult to mount with a little more overhang. This radiator is the same size as a factory radiator.
ruVq27A.jpg

Single fan mounted with a small amount of trimming (approx 10 mins with an angle grinder and holesaw).

sabxwEJ.jpg

Fitted to the car
uGjNfgT.jpg

t591TdT.jpg

In the process of fitting A/C currently. Made some brackets up last night for the condenser and bent/mounted the hardline and receiver drier. Compressor side of things is already complete as is the evaporator. Just need to do the wiring and have one hose made and it should be just about good to go.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That's not a bad looking radiator and the big single FG fan fits nice, definitely a better option.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Looks the goods mate.
Nice and tidy

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Looks the goods mate.
Nice and tidy
Cheers mate. Starting off by tidying up the radiator and adding a/c and will slowly redo the whole engine bay (different engine, redo wiring and some paint etc). 18 year old EYY was a bit impatient and just wanted to get it on the road lol so doing it better this time round.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I think many of us have been impatient with cars.
You are not alone.
Be good too see your patient build when done good luck.:)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Cheers mate. Starting off by tidying up the radiator and adding a/c and will slowly redo the whole engine bay (different engine, redo wiring and some paint etc). 18 year old EYY was a bit impatient and just wanted to get it on the road lol so doing it better this time round.

Dunno if it's just me, but none of the pictures in this thread are working.