Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Posted this on an older thread, but read on that thread that the barrels are subject to failing when out in heat, which is kind of a bummer cause my car is parked outside at home and work. Is there a way to fix without replacing the barrel?
It just seems to be the locking pin at the rear of the barrel that's getting stuck. Would grease fix it?
You want to fix it, you have to do it properly.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Posted this on an older thread, but read on that thread that the barrels are subject to failing when out in heat, which is kind of a bummer cause my car is parked outside at home and work. Is there a way to fix without replacing the barrel?
It just seems to be the locking pin at the rear of the barrel that's getting stuck. Would grease fix it?
How many other keys are on the car key ring?

Over the years l've coninually heard to many keys on the car key ring stuffs the barrel. It the weight of all the keys that stuffs the barrel.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S

Over the years l've coninually heard to many keys on the car key ring stuffs the barrel. It the weight of all the keys that stuffs the barrel.
Only the car key, the glove box key and my gym fob. Not big on having things dangling on the key.

You want to fix it, you have to do it properly.
Yeah. Dam. Was hoping I wouldn't have to.

Reactions: Lex

Marras

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
Don’t use grease in the keyway where the key is inserted. Just squirt a little Inox in the keyway then push the key in and out a few times to work the lubrication through the moving parts in the barrel.

Marras

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS

Yes that is correct having a big bunch of keys hanging from the ignition ruins it.
All I have is car key house key and work key that is it.
It pisses me off having a massive bunch of keys to carry around.