Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Wagon Fuel Tank; what is this hose?

wez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Hi Guys,
My VN S1 wagon was diagnosed with low fuel pressure, so I had a look under the tank. There was a slow drip from near a hose. (see photo) This hose attached to the tank on the driver's side, low, and at the front of the tank. I gave the hose clamp a wiggle to see if it was loose, and the metal pipe (little-finger-sized), with hose attached, came cleanly off the tank.

I had a full tank at the time so you can imagine the hassle. I managed to catch most of the petrol and put it in another car.

Can someone :bow:please tell me:

1. What is this pipe? It is not the fuel outlet. It does not lead to the fuel filter. Slightly towards the front of the car, the hose becomes the middle one of three hoses tied together.

2. Would the leak have had anything to do with low fuel pressure? That is, am I still looking at replacing the fuel pump?

3. How do I go about repairing this? Can I just use some knead-it, or is there some internal connection, requiring removal of the tank?

The petrol has stopped dripping, but the drip starts again if I reinsert the metal pipe.

Attachments

• vn_tank hose.jpg
    vn_tank hose.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 2,780

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
You may be able to repair it - but that may take some doing with out getting exploded upon.

Solder it in - but the tank would need to be very clean. Or could go bang.

I'd look at the cost a second and tank vs repair.

To drive around with a leaky fuel tank - well - I would'nt want to. But thats me.

wez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Fuel Return Line

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm learning all the time; it seems we are talking about the return line.
I read on some other thread that it is connected inside the tank to some kind of bowl (?) indicating that just soldering it back on on the outside might not work?
I'm still wondering if this is a seperate problem to my low fuel presure. ( BTW, I recently replaced the fuel filter, which was chockers with crap.)

I'm having trouble finding a second-hand tank, and really need this vehicle on the road.

Renno

Home Of The Shiny Tank
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
Thats the return line mate!

On the inside of the tank there is a 10cm piece of hose that connects to this and runs to the swell pot (what you called a bowl)...

Ive had my tank opened up the last 2 weeks to give it a sandblast and to get it ready for paint and all i can say is you can get away (but its a bit of a hassel), if you do it this way.

I have a VN V8 with a 80L tank, and it ran the twin pump setup. So i got a VR sender unit which has the return line on the sender unit to convert it to a single walbro pump. I got Green Welding in S.A. to degass it and cut off the return line on the tank and weld it up...

Then all you need to do is run the rubber hose from the the swell pot in the tank to the VR sender unit....

I would only do this tho if you cannot find a second hand tank for the wagon...

Eliminator

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maranello red Vn V8 Calais
the return line isnt on the side of the tank though??

wiliam

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn series 1
Thanks Wes, finally someone with the same problem as me (vn sedan series 1)! What did you end up doing to fix that? Is there any way way of re-sealing this metal nozzle to the tank? Any quick fixes or replace the whole thing for THAT!!!