Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn wagon handbrake

radiohead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn exc/vtss
Hi all.I have a vn wagon with a bad handbrake.I have adjusted the cable but it won't hold the car.It has a disc brake rear end.Just wondering if the rear brakes have separate pads or shoes for the handbrake as found in some cars.If so has anyone ever changed them.Any help would be greatly appreciated.:bang:

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Whilst replacing the pads on my car a couple of weekends ago I adjusted my handbrake as well. The handbrake is a separate shoes and drum arrangement incorporated into the disc. It's quite easy to adjust. All you need do is remove the calliper, pull off the disc, you'll see a notched wheel for adjusting the shoes - adjust each shoe the same. You should only need to move each around 5-8 notches. Replace the disc/drum - You'll know if you have gone to far with the adjustment as the drum will not slide on easily. Check that there is no drag. Attach calliper. You can also adjust the Handbrake cable a little from under the car.

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
the shoes are liike EXPENSIVE... something like 150 or something.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
commy92 said:

Can't imagine why you'd ever need to replace them though, it's a handbrake, it doesn't do an awful lot of work unless some retard is trying to pull handbrake turns, the shoes should last practically forever.

Mongoose has explained quite well what needs to be done, once the brake disc is off it's easy enough to work out how to move the shoes outwards. Just be careful that you don't move them out too far, ya don't want the shoes dragging and creating a lot of heat. Took me ages to get mine just right, haven't had to go back and redo it though so I'm fairly happy.

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
commy92 said:

No they aren't. I pretty sure you can get a set from Repco for around $30.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
also when lookin at invoice i saw "Brake Caliper Paste".. what is that used for? (sorry if hi-jacking but not worth starting new thread just for that :p)