Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN with VT front brakes.

Dave6179

Reaction score
Members Ride
HJ Belmont, VN Calais, VX SS
G'day you fullas. Wife does a lot of miles in our '91 NZ Calais 3.8. Only 146,000 on it.. bought it last year at 128,005. I've fitted new 290mm rotors and V8 calipers but feel like it could use more stop (new fluid and pads all round). I bought VT calipers for $55 recently. Have read that VS struts fit... allowing the calipers to bolt on. I don't want to replace rims... she likes the VN SS rims I put on it... I prefer the original but there ya go.
Will the 15 inch wheels fit over the VT units? I see VT alloys on TradeMe and they are 15", didn't know they had them from the factory! I don't want to muck around fabbing/modifying anything, I very much like bolt on for simplicity... and legality.
Am I on the right track? :drink:

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
I have VT brakes on my VC. 15" wheels fit over the calipers ok. On the VC the calipers bolt straight on but adaptor hubs are required to fit the rotors. I assume VN is probably the same. Again I don't know about a VN but the VC has a two boosters one for the 6 and a double diaphragm unit for the V8. The V8 unit is the one to use. The VC also requires a 1" master cylinder, again don't know about a VN. But they are the points to look at.

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
I found braided lines made a firmer pedal and feel.
Or use a vt booster n master for ultimate stoppage. Need line adaptor fittings and mod bracket but well worth the effort if u can get parts for nothing/cheap.

Dave6179

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers. I have a VS booster with 1" cyl... in the shed. The VN has 15/16 factory. I tried high performance pads but they require heat to work... pretty useless round town!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Pretty much what he said ^^^

The best way is to use VT callipers with conversion hubs with your original struts. You will need new brake hoses as well. May as well grab some of those steel braided hoses, available from one of the forum sponsors. VS strut conversion is a major PITA and not a simple bolt in job as it may first seem.

Best to do the MC/booster as well. You could go with the V8 booster and 1" MC however the VT upgrade is better and is the correct MC to use with the VT callipers.

Also replace the bracket that supports the front of the MC and is bolted to the strut tower. Get rid of that flimsy pressed steel one and make one out of some real steel or alloy bar. Will firm up the brake pedal as it will greatly reduce the firewall flex.

Any Commodore 15" rim should fit.

Dave6179

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh I fitted a diagonal brace on the mstr cyl bracket some time ago. Surprising how much it all moved! Made buggerall difference.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Fitting the HSV C5 2 pot caliper would probably get around the whole having to change master cylinders as it uses smaller pistons. Probably have to run 330mm rotors though. Not sure if the mounting bracket is separate though...

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Hsv twin pot n 330mm rotors require minimum 16" rims, even then some 16s don't clear the caliper

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Hence why i mentioned the bits about the mounting bracket that could be detatchable.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Mounting holes for the calipers are an inch wider either side, no chance mounting them without the brackets