Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn wont fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawtyNate

In the feels.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok ive had this vn I brought for 500 bucks. Manual with rego. Thought id get it cause it was a steal. But nooo.
Broke down on me today at kfc. So I just left it there. After the first time. I replaced. Coolant temp sensor. Plugs. Leads. Coils to series 2. And it done it again.

All it does is when it goes to start. Starts for 2 seconds. Runs real rough then stalls. First time it broke down outside maccas. Now at kfc. I was thinking. Could it be the crank angle sensor?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
do an error code check...

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
do a quick check of your o2 wires coming off your extractor make sure there not broken or melted, if they look ok just get a new o2 sensor and go from there... you might clean out your throttle body too for good measure...

ShawtyNate

In the feels.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Put new sensor in. Took manifold off. Degreased all tb. Elbow and manifold. Changed thermostat. This was before I serviced it.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Does it only do it after a drive when the cars warmed up?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
All it does is when it goes to start. Starts for 2 seconds. Runs real rough then stalls.

My car did something similar to this when the fuel pump packed it in. Can you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds and then stop again when the igntion is first turned to the ON position? Put your head under the rear of the car whilst someone turns the ignition on, and see if you can hear the fuel pump priming for the 2 seonds, if not, it may be a faulty fuel pump.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
As it will fire briefly it does sound like a fuel pump. If you don't have an assistant to hand, you can bridge the terminals at the fuel pump relay to get the pump to run (if it's working) without cycling the ignition on and off.

If there's no fuel pressure you can feel it in the fuel hose under the bonnet - try squeezing it between your fingers. If it's soft, there's no fuel pressure.

A CAS failure will mean no spark. That's easy to check with a Philips head screwdriver in a 'plug lead and the shaft of the screwdriver placed 5-10mm from an earth on the engine eg. lift hook.

v6nutz_2012

Self-Confessed Basshead
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
2000 VT S Pac "Gold Nugget"
I agree with Brett_jjj and Cheap6, sounds fuel related due to it starting for a short time. If you can't hear the pump going, check the connector at the sender. Sometimes they can become faulty and only work when the wires are in a certain position, had it happen to me in my old VN. Good old cable ties fixed that problem :p

Status
Not open for further replies.