Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Won't Start

endlesshysteria

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe
Gday Guys,

So here's the story. Borrowed the old man's VN while the VT was off the road and let her run out of fuel, that was my first issue. Got to the servo, got some fuel in and she started, beauty... Then drove about 20km's and she died, won't start at all.

Got her towed home and now sitting in the driveway until I get time to look at it, for example now :p What happens is that she turns over but will not fire at all! I do not suspect fuel pump as it primes for about 1 second when the ignition but still doesnt fire. Replaced fuel filter with no joy.

Have checked the leads and plugs and all looks ok, got try to replace the leads and plugs but dont suspect them as it seems fuel related, you know running out of fuel and all :whistling

Could there be anything else that could go wrong after running out of fuel? She was running fine after getting fuel in and then just died, could the fuel pump priming be a false positive?

I have checked for price of pumps and found they are pretty cheap, how hard to replace?

Cheers for any suggestions,
Hysteria.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
id say make it prime several times if ya cant here the fuel returning to the tank id say ya have a air lock possibly also have ya checked the fuse under the bonnet my old vp race car would blow them every time it went dry

best way to tell is to take the fuel line of at the engine end feed it into a bottle and tun the key if it flows its the injectors if it dont its the pump

also an error code check will help

endlesshysteria

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe
Cheers Rob. Have checked all fuses to do with fuel and ignitions and swapped them all out and still same issue. Could the airlock be from when I replaced the fuel filter? Should I take it out and refit?

If I had the gear for an error code check I would go through it but I dont.

Will try the line into the bottle tomorrow after work or Friday, if it is flowing through and is the injectors, is this a big job to fix? Can only assume so.

Cheers.

uzdvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6
just a thought but when you ran dry you may have sucked up all crap from your tank so maybe check your fuel filter and injectors

endlesshysteria

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe
That is what I was thinking in replacing the fuel filter, I have run a bottle of injector cleaner through it before and ended up having to replace the fuel pump as it died.

Any other way of cleaning injectors, or advice on what I did wrong last time? It was a few years ago when the VN was mine before donating it to the old man. :thumbsup:

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
not hard if its the pump if its the injectors it can be hard its possible that the fuel filter is full of air or even the wrong way around and i only say the wrong way around because its easy to do ive even done it crack the top hose out of the filter and go turn the car on stick ya head under the car if its driping it has presure and no air lock id consider looking there first and if ya going to refit it tonight wile your there ya might as well check for flow there i tend to soak mine in fuel before fitment so its guaranteed to flow the first time

uzdvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6
sorry i dont know anyway to clean out the injectors the only thing is maybe the filter blocked up before letting to much crap through to block the injectors.

endlesshysteria

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe
Top tips Rob, cheers. Will be checking tomorrow night, just got the fuel off me and dont feel like getting drenched for another night. I am sure the filter is in the correct way as I have read many threads where people have put them in the wrong way and made sure this wasn't ;)

So basically to test, take the engine side hose off, see if fuel comes through, if not fuel pump, if so.... mechie :bang: Should I try injector cleaner if its the latter? Sorry for all the questions and cheers for the help!

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
injector cleaner is a waist of time anytime it dose nothing the only way to get injectors clean is ultra sonically which meens pulling them out and sending them away theres some guys on eBay that do exchanges cheep

and yeh ya got it right just make sure ya test the flow first before getting to excited might just be an easy fuel pump change

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ide be checking for good spark as well i noticed you said you checked the leads and plugs but didnt mention if it had good spark.are the injectors ticking do they have power to them