Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn wont start!!!

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
hey guys,

Changed my water pump and did a coolant flush this week one of the bolts snapped and had to tap it..ughhh and as if all that's not bad enough when everything was put back together went to start it to bleed the system and all it does is tick from the starter relay every time the key is turned a red exclamation mark also lights up on the dash. I've got no idea whats going on with it. things i've tested so far have been.
1 whacked the started moter a few good times.
2 make sure remote lead was fully plugged in.
3 also tried swapping over relays.

everything has bared the same result......nothing
if anyone's got any idea on what it might be please help. don't really feel like taking it to a mechanic or auto elec and getting raped.

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
maybe do an error check. the error checking system on these cars arent great but you might get lucky and it may tell you whats wrong..... also this is just something that comes to mind that i have done in the past, make sure the gear shifter is in park or neutral lol i remember i had my car off the road a few days trying to figure out why it wouldnt start and it was all cos i had it sitting in reverse for some reason lol good luck mate

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
Haha well its definitely in park how do you check for error codes? Never done it before

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Tried charging your battery?

86nav

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Kingcab Navara
Hey mate howd you go?
Sounds exactly like my problem so im very keen to find out what it was!

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
just an update. seemed like it was the starter motor because the remote lead and main power lead was getting voltage. so bought a 2nd hand starter off ebay and got some mechanics near by to chuck it in. but now apparantly its starting intermitantly so looks like it was the starter and a bit of a wireing prob. but i dont really trust the place as ive never been there so im gonna pick it up hope it starts arnd drive it to a mechanic i can actully trust and get them to check it out. ill keep you updated

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
ok so got it back from the mechanics it was a wiring problem as well so they rewired the remote wire to the starter. so prob fixed for now