Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN6 series 1 AUTO transmission dying

wez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
I depend on my old series 1 to get me to jobs.

It gets into 3rd, but when I slacken off the throttle (eg downhill) it then behaves almost as if it is neutral.
If I slow down and drop into 2nd manually, this keeps me going and I can can then get back to 3rd until the load drops off again.

I changed the fluid and filter, and added a Lucas treatment fluid, and got only a slight improvement.
I also adjusted the kickdown.

It looks like a 2nd-hand box is my best option now ( I'm broke )
Does the S1 take a different gearbox?
I spotted one ($50 - will be gone tomorrow) that seems good except the converter is not included.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
The situation is urgent.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
S1 and s2 have a different flywheel. But I'm pretty sure any vn - vp auto will fit though. Just steer clear of the vr -vs auto. They are electronic and won't work in your vn. If it doesn't come with a torque converter you could just re use your old one. But if it's the tc that's been giving you the trouble then that would be annoying haha.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
ive been told by a transmission guy that if you bung a second hander in make sure you have the converter that was with it, they wear together. i had my box rebuilt at a shop and got a rebuilt converter with it as well. not sure if its true but he told me if you mix and match used converters with different transmissions they wont last very long before they konk out. hes been doing rebuilds for over 30 years and that was his advice...

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
ive been told by a transmission guy that if you bung a second hander in make sure you have the converter that was with it, they wear together. i had my box rebuilt at a shop and got a rebuilt converter with it as well. not sure if its true but he told me if you mix and match used converters with different transmissions they wont last very long before they konk out. hes been doing rebuilds for over 30 years and that was his advice...

Actually that makes allot of sense. You wouldn't want to put a good box in then 2 months later your tc goes. Then it's out with the auto again.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Actually that makes allot of sense. You wouldn't want to put a good box in then 2 months later your tc goes. Then it's out with the auto again.

i think the other thing he was he was explaining to me is if you pair a worn out TC with a rebuilt auto or low k's one, it will actually shorten the life of the trans. in some cases drastically. its meant to take the strain off the gearbox when shifting yeah? if its not operating properly it can burn out your clutch bands pretty quick... or at least i think thats what he said, it was a while ago, dont quote me on it...

for the extra $200 for the rebuilt TC i went for it cause it will cost alot more time and money to pull the box out again...

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
any vn-vp th700 r4 will suit, regardless of year they're all the same. (only difference is a v6 box is required for a v6 and a v8 box is required for a v8)

biggest issue with changing a trans and using your old converter is that you are replacing a trans for a reason.... any crap from the worn/flogged out trans will have made its way in and thru the tc, it's pretty much impossible to clean out the tc, any crap will just go thru the replacement trans and kill it....

as for the issue with your current trans... sounds like a blown piston seal inside, i had a vr trans act very similar, no engine braking when backing off the throttle and even dropping back to 3rd or 2nd eventually made no difference, it didn't slip upchanging as it seemed to have enough line pressure to maintain gears..... it was like that for about 10,000 km's until the pump decided to explode, which was unrelated to the blown piston seal... it had a funny knock from day 1 and i thought it was the balance shaft bearing in the engine...... in a way i'm glad a new trans shut the noise up as i wasn't looking forward to ripping the engine apart lol

Last edited:

wez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Thanks to all. This site is great.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
..a bit confused,i was told(by a wrecker) that the VP auto. is partial electronic control and can't be fitted to a VN despite also having a kickdown cable,is this Info. wrong??.TIA

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
..a bit confused,i was told(by a wrecker) that the VP auto. is partial electronic control and can't be fitted to a VN despite also having a kickdown cable,is this Info. wrong??.TIA

I put a vn auto in my vp when i blew up my first one. I can't remember if it was a s1 or s2, It didn't last too long but it certainly worked for a few months.