Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VNS1, harsh noise, oil light

wez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
My oil light came on.
The engine was making a noise, kind of harssh, with some tappet noise.
I put more oil in without checking level first.
I checked the oil and found that it had been (probably alread) too full.
I drained some oil, getting the reading back to normal on the dipstick.
Test drive - noise almost as bad. Oil light still on.
Changed oil filter.
Test drive - same.
Any suggestions please bring 'em on; I need to drive to work tomorrow.
It drove fine last night.
Would too much auto fluid cause noise? It is also reading over.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You can't drive it untill you find out why it's got no oil pressure. Got no clue why it doesn't but don't drive it

wez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Thanks, Greenfoam, - you mean not even around the block eh?
Excuse my ignorance- the oil light ONLY means ENGINE oil prob? Or includes gearbox oil?
Could the pressure sensor itelf be the prob.?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Engine oil light means the oil pump isn't supplying enough oil to the motor. If the light comes on, and the car sounds fine, chances are the switch is broken. Replace.

In your case, when the light comes on AND the car sounds like it's eating typewriters falling down a stairs, you need to stop immediately :p I think you could have a blocked oil pickup - meaning that although the sump is full, the pump can't drag any oil up to squirt into the motor. You need to drop the sump and have a look at the pickup :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I dont think it's likely to be the pickup. I've never heard about or seen a V6 with any oil sludge plus I think they have a large pickup, they also just aren't that kind of engine (they stay clean) So I'm thinking the pump must be broken, or something worse

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
Engine oil light means the oil pump isn't supplying enough oil to the motor. If the light comes on, and the car sounds fine, chances are the switch is broken. Replace.

In your case, when the light comes on AND the car sounds like it's eating typewriters falling down a stairs, you need to stop immediately :p I think you could have a blocked oil pickup - meaning that although the sump is full, the pump can't drag any oil up to squirt into the motor. You need to drop the sump and have a look at the pickup :)

bingo mort ive had 2 engines do that to me now both from wreckers lesson learned from this take the sump off befor putting it in the car and clean the sump and pickup lol

good luck wez its a pain of a job but well worth the hassle seeing its getting harder and harder to get a good second hand engine now

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I dont think it's likely to be the pickup. I've never heard about or seen a V6 with any oil sludge plus I think they have a large pickup, they also just aren't that kind of engine (they stay clean) So I'm thinking the pump must be broken, or something worse

Nah, I've seen a buick and an ecotec with blocked pickups. You'll be surprised how badly people look after them :)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah when the metal bulb part gets full of stuff it doesnt leave much area for oil to go to clean them right out you need to cut one side of the dome out of the pickup to clean them out they fill right up with crud

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
harsh noise + oil light + driving = f**ked motor to be honest

wez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
So under the car I go! I'm hoping to see a blocked pickup, given the alternatives.
How much oil will I need?