Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VNSS front end knock

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
Gday guys , i have this front end knock in my vnss and cannot find the problem. Like when you come to a stop and then as soon as you take off and the front lifts they is a firm knock,it only knocks once but happens everytime you stop and then takeoff. Even when you take off very slowly it happens and also happens sometimes when turning into driveways on medium to heavy lock...Like when you rest your foot on the dummy pedal in the auto you can feel the knock through the foot rest.

So took it to a brake and suspension place for a free check and they said the link pin was missing its rubber bushing,,so ok had that fixed but the knock is still there. Any idea what else i should look at?

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
i had the exact same problem as you. my story is that i had lpg and new shockers installed around about the same time. then i had this knock, every time i accelerated, no matter how fast or slow. i thought it was the lpg system backfiring... then i started to investigate, and when i jumped in the boot (or push up and down real hard) it started knocking. found out a shock was loose at the back. it's worth a shot!

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
could you tell if your knock was from the front or back?

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
yeh might see if i can get the car on ramps today and check every bolt i can find..The knock gives me the impression something is moving within its hole,like a missing bush or loose nut,just dont want something falling out when i least expect it.

90lxcn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 lexcen
from experiance but i hear its rare could be a broken crossmember makeing a knocking sound id have a look cause i left it and it actualy snapped

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
link pin bushes

Yeh when i put the car in for a free check they said link pin aswell after driving it,was missing the rubber bush or something ,so they meant to have fixed it..Better check they actually replaced it.

Better have a good look shortly as my car is a fraction to low to get up on ramps...

VPcalais87

CNBNVS
Reaction score
Website
www.finessecarhire.com.au
Members Ride
VP Calais 5.0
Link pin is more during steering movement. Turning Left/Right....

I had this problem on my VP BT1 5.0L and speant weeks and lots of dollars replacing parts for no reason.

After cracking the sads real bad I decided to just check the engine mounts. Bingo. 2 bolts/nuts were not exactly loose but I got at least a turn out of them with a ratchet. Never heard the noise again.

Maybe give that a go...

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
that sounds believeable vpcalais87, i was going to say radius rod bush but wouldn't that be more of a knock when coming to a stop? and not when taking off?

just get under then and look at everything u can,,,,,