Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Volt guage / no sound when iPhone is connected

Pedroman5128

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calias V 2019
I have a Calais v and have two issues. My volt guage when driving along drops to the stroke above 9 and stays there just after start up or stays at 14+ volts for some time then drops to a low voltage. Holden tells me this is ok, but I can remember it staying at around 14+ prior to this happening. Do any members have this same issues.
Today when I went out my iPhone auto connected the system tells me it's connected but no volume, even though its plays the current song. Radio works well as does phone calls but no volume on my songs
Thank you for any replies

Last edited:

SteveRSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I occasionally see the same audio issue with Android. If I recall correctly, on one occasion I had to unplug, stop/restart the car, and plug back in again to rectify. I find that plugging in after starting the car keeps the glitches at bay.
Regarding your voltage issue, I have never seen mine drop low. Even if the alternator drops the charge rate (which it does under certain conditions) the voltmeter shouldn't show any less than battery voltage I.E 12.5 ish volts.
I would check voltage with a multimeter next time your guage reports low voltage, to see whether the voltage is actually low, or if its the guage/cluster reporting the voltage incorrectly.
Unfortunately, quality dealer assistance is a lottery.

gem87

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
My volt guage when driving along drops to the stroke above 9 and stays there just after start up or stays at 14+ volts for some time then drops to a low voltage. Holden tells me this is ok

This is perfectly normal.

When its at 12v it just means your alternator isn't charging your battery because the battery is full, so no need to run the alternator.

When its at 14+ volts, it is charging your battery.

If it sticks at 14+ volts constantly, it means your battery is on its way out and despite the alternator trying to charge it constantly, it isn't reporting back as full so it just keeps trying. My car was dropping from 14v just after startup to 12v for a while and then all of a sudden was sticking at 14v all the time, 2 weeks later the auto Stop/Start functionality went out and it was because the battery was dying and refused to report as full.