Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Voodoo Blue E3 Maloo

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
Very very bad news. Unknown engine damage. Had to be pushed into the shop. Comes out Monday. Hopefully the outcome doesn't include a swap or I'll park it up for a while

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
very very bad news. Unknown engine damage. Had to be pushed into the shop. Comes out monday. Hopefully the outcome doesn't include a swap or i'll park it up for a while

w t f??????

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Brutal mate.

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
Got it back after a two week wait. Engine checked fine after snapping the balancer off and dropping the engine oil. Was given the okay to take it home today after the top end was taken off and checked. Got home and it started to drop oil and coolant. While i was on my way back the diff blew out. Absolutely devastated.

Last edited:

Jasee123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 HSV Clubsport E3
Feel for ya man :( the guy who had it before you mustn't have looked after it. Whats the plan from here?

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
I'm currently on wait for a hour so may as well do a quick update. I'll update some photos when I get time.

So I could just tell the Maloo tune just wasn't correct from day dot.
So I thought it should be booked in just for a look over to see what's really happening with it, I was getting this strange issue about 30 mins after picking it up when I first brought it with the throttle body getting stuck open when de-acceleration .
On my way to my tuner just down the road downshifting I heard a Big Bang from the front and switched the engine off straight away. Turns out that bang was the harmonic balancer flying off. Being the main balancer it threw the belts off and dropping the oil straight away. Between that issue the OTR was also damaged from underneath.

After getting the maloo to the shop door it was plugged into the computer straight away. I learnt very quickly it was running on grenade tune with numerous tuning errors that it should of made it "pop". Throttle issue was also in the tune.

After 2 and a half weeks the engine was checked over and everything looked ok. Oil replaced, new 25% under driven pulley's installed, belts and OTR fixed with new seals behind the balancer she was running.
Threw her on the dyno and had her completely retuned. I was very pleased to see she made 496HP at the wheels running healthy.
Drives like a new animal now.

Drove her home and didn't touch her for 2 whole days. Thought yeah it's time to take her for a drive when I noticed a small coolant and oil leak. Booked her in straight away and took her back in. On my way back a click developed this click that got louder and louder. Checked everything I could and knew it was coming somewhere from the back end... Was just hoping the center bearing. Kept driving with this click turned into a "thumping" noise and I was only around the corner from my tuner.
Threw her on the hoist to quickly find the diff was shagged. What a bummer!

2 and a half weeks later I got her back. Brand new Wavetrack 3.9 diff built. Not one single item was able to be reused from the old diff.

Drove her around for about 3 days being very very easy on her trying to rack 1000 "run in" Km's.

Gave her a quick squirt... Clutch in... Never come back out... Grrrrrrr......

Drove it without the clutch rev matching all the way back to the shop. Turns out to now be the Bloody slave cylinder!

Box is currently out waiting for parts again. This car really haven't worked out to how it was meant to be. Completely lost interest in continuing at this stage

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
What a stuff around. Will be very hard finding motivation on a car that's had that many issues so quickly.