Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Voodoo blue question

VT00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 Auto sedan
Hi all,

Bit of a newb question here but here goes. I have just brought a new ve sv6 in voodoo blue and really like the colour :)

Just wondering if this is one of those colours that looks different if viewed from a certain angle or light (not sure of the technical term). I ask because I've noticed that the front bar looks like a much lighter shade of blue than the rest of the car when viewed in certain light ( eg when I was at the petrol station tonight). Just hoping this is normal and not a painting defect !

Cheers

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Bars from factory have zero coverage, therefore looks different to the steel.

The colour, like all colours have changing side angles.

You know how much colour they use on new commodores to paint a whole car? 900mls.......that gives you and indication on how much paint is on there.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
where do you get this figure from?

Not much paint goes on at all. I'd say 900ml would be pretty accurate. Also I don't think you have enough quotes in your sig...

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
i know they use bugger all paint but 900mls IMO is not enough. they have alot of car to cover. even with a sympathetic primer you'd need 1500ml, min. i think maybe 900ml of clear is more accurate as there's only one coat.

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
oh and this is only my opinion, i'm not having a go. just wanna know where the figure comes from.

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I'm only stating it as heresay but i know a chap that works on the production line, he told me they (robot) use a ground coat then dust on a piss arse amount of colour and then yes, only 1 coat of clear.

Hence why whenever you do a re paint with say a voodoo blue, or even the shockwave blue that ford is horrendously famous for, the re painted colour always has so much more depth and life in it.

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
i resprayed an xr8 falcon a while back in shockwave. came up mint used a ton of colour tthough. using white under vodoo is great to make the colour 'pop' but can be hard to get the white showing through without it looking transperant,, if you know what i mean.

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
haha tell me about it, we used TONNES of colour when we did a warranty job on a BA falcon in shockwave, it was a bare metal re paint. but yeah i think it took about 6 coats of base to get it to cover well.

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
lol warranty bare metal jobbies :D im sick of the things they just kep rolling in...

shockwave is shitful when it comes to coverage thats why i mix up my own ground coat that covers in 2 and the 2 full coats of shockwave and one mist is enough to get it covered nicely.
ill be ####ed if the cars come back for repairs though lmao

op- all ve bars look different bacause they are painted in a different part of the factory and no matter what you do you will bever get them to look right.

even blending the 1/4's while the bars are on the car dosent get them looking the same...