Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vortech blower and alternator problem please help with ideas

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Ok please help I'm building supercharged stroker in vs manta it has all the bells an whistles look at vs manta supercharged stroked and custom in show of ur ride vr-vs to see !!!but now I have rotated the housing of the v2 vortech so it points out the wheel arch ( this avoided other problems with oil Breather on valve cover and pipe isues over oil filler cap) but now that its done an rotated the alternator has very little adjustment left !!! I can get a max of about 10 mm movement I can try and get belt exact length but it will stretch after few hours of running time then have no adjustment left I'm thinking some sort of tensioner pullie to lift the bottem side of the belt up close to the alternator if I got another blower tensioner I think I can drill a hole in blower bracket and having it same way but on back side of the bracket I can make it work!!! Has anyone had this problem before and found a solution or got any ideas

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 492

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Still for power steering? If not could mount it on that side with and older 308 mount. Otherwise yeah a tensioner would be the go. You may need one anyway as I was throwing belts constant with my motor as they stretch during revs and actually create slack (that's crappy V belts for you). A local rotary racer told me to try Bando belts and haven't thrown one since.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Hi mate I have this in vr- vs I have better pics up there and I think I want power steering still and where do u get them belts from?? And yeh think I'm gona need to give my brother in law another job making bracket for a tensioner for it, lucky I'm a chippy and can do stuff to his house for him lol

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Well I thought I put it on there ill put pics up here they are
1Dtah
1Dtax
1DtaT
1Dtbf
1Dtbx

sporty custom

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
take a smidge out of alternater bracket bring it closer to harmonic balancer give you more adjustment

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Yep I was gona chop the end of the bravket off that bolts to the water pump and drill a new hole to bring the hole alternator bracket back about 30 mm but see on the second pic u can see the gap between blower ad alternator is small maybe 4 or 5 mm and on the 3 Rd pic u can see the bolt head between the blower tensioner and alternator , the alternator will hit that so I have about a max swing of about 10 mm give or take 1 or 2 mm but I'm not convinced that's enough

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
I get them from a shop local to me called cheapa auto spares.

sporty custom

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
mine was same its at full adustment know with only minimal adjustmment so i just put a new tighter fitting belt on and now slip so all is good. best of luck with it anyway/ you are going to love the power.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Thanks jakstas ill get them bando belts they seam to be pretty commonly sold around the place and look easy to get I'm lovin ur advice and help it is very appreciated !!! And I have to design a tensioner pulley there is no other way around it , not sure what to use was thinkin of a system similar to how the old air con tensioner works

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't know if the pulley ratio's would be ok (or not) but why not solid mount the alternator, fit a 6pk type pulley and use the same belt as the supercharger to spin the alternator?

Failing that, what I've done is remove the standard alternator mount and mounted the alternator directly to the head with a spacer and cut the front support bar used on the factory mount in the other bolt hole on the head (with another spacer) to support the alternator mount. That will move the alternator a lot closer to the water pump. In your case, it looks like the supercharger bracket also uses that mounting position so, just add another spacer between the alternator and the supercharger bracket and you won't need to original bracket going to the other head bolt hole to support it.

Attachments

• new V8 altenator mount 002.jpg
    new V8 altenator mount 002.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 257