Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vortex 98 Fuel for SV6

opbatra2kn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 MY12
G'day,

Since I purchased my Sv6 six months ago, I have been filling it mostly with either Shell V98 or Caltex Vortex 98... One of my friend mentioned that this type of fuel is not good for the car in long run. it damages the plastic blah in the car! is that true? ( I tend to not believe him on this!). is that true?

Also, which car fuel is better Shell or Caltex? I keep on filling from either Shell or Caltex, is that a problem? Should I stick to one? What other Sv6 owners use?

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
you have been told some serious bs, i use shell 98, pretty much everyone id this forum id say run 98 with no problems

98 is better for ur motor, burns cleaner ect less chance of detonation ect

keep running 98 man

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
G'day,

Since I purchased my Sv6 six months ago, I have been filling it mostly with either Shell V98 or Caltex Vortex 98... One of my friend mentioned that this type of fuel is not good for the car in long run. it damages the plastic blah in the car! is that true? ( I tend to not believe him on this!). is that true?

Also, which car fuel is better Shell or Caltex? I keep on filling from either Shell or Caltex, is that a problem? Should I stick to one? What other Sv6 owners use?

Plastics - he is probably meaning Ethanol E10

Anyway, your car designed to run on all fuels. Comes down to your preference to peformance/economy
My old car loved 95ron but hated 98ron.

Current car loves 95/98 but especially 100ron but can use and handle E10 and 91ron perfectly fine.

Now, shell and caltex perfectly fine. Just make sure if you go to an Independant that you know they use good fuels.

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Lmao your mate should do some research. 98 is epic. I found the BP ultimate to be a **** load better than the vortex. Not sure why but the clubby definitely didn't run as well on it. Haven't given the V-power a go though. Probably should one day.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Lmao your mate should do some research. 98 is epic. I found the BP ultimate to be a **** load better than the vortex. Not sure why but the clubby definitely didn't run as well on it. Haven't given the V-power a go though. Probably should one day.

I ran Ultimate for a while after it being recommended left right and centre in my Clubsport and found that the V-Power was better, I have filled with Caltex once and didn't notice a difference. All from very high volume servos. In all honesty I don't think there are any great differences between them.

In the same breath Fifth Gear ran a fuel comparison and they found Shell to be the best but obviously this was in the UK. The comparison was done with a Golf.

money shot

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Hmm that is quite an interesting result. I must of missed that ep. I'm on about 1/4 of a tank atm so might run it down a lil more and then see what a full tank of the V-power does. Thanks mpower :)

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
This is a good run down as well.

s1_e10_fuel_3.jpg

Episode 10 Now Online – The Fuel Test | OzGarage

OzGarage Season 1 - Episode 10 - .

The Fuel Test
98 Octane, Ethanol, E10?.
all words which we are hearing more and more both in the news and tv and also by customers wanting the best performance out of their car. With this we have decided to answer the questions with knowledge by testing a variety of different fuels back to back on the dyno. The results are definately intersting and may change both the performance car industry and even the environment in the future. See the results of testing 91 Octane Unleaded, 98 Octane Unleaded, E10 Ethanol Blend, E85 Ethanol Blend and a 120 Octane dedicated race fuel. To give some relief from the dyno action we also head down to the Latrobe Valley Street Machine Show with a few cars.

opbatra2kn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 MY12
Thank you for the feedback. My little research also suggests that Shell V-Power 98 is better than Vortex 98.

Just curious, how do you know which fuel is better for your car? Mileage? Or do you feel the difference while driving?