Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP 304 manual conversion - pedal box removal

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I ended up getting it out this afternoon. What a prick of a job.

Removed the m/c bracket, and pulled the booster back. That allowed me just enough room to get a 3/4" ratchet, 13mm bolt and uni joint in there.

The other bolt, I pushed the fuel lines out of the way and used a 500 mm 1/2 inch extension and 13 mm socket.

Back in the car I had to undo both bolts holding the steering column up. That allowed me to push down the aircon duct just enough to get a 13 mm socket on an extension, onto the bolt holding the pedal box to the steering column. Once I undid that, the whole column dropped a bit then I could pull out the aircon duct. After that I was home free.

Only complication was the alarm installer routed the cables through one of the pedal box holes, so had to cut them. Gotta remember to rejoin them later.

All in all, an unpleasant job. I'm sort of worried about potential electrical issues, a lot of wires went under tension when the column dropped!

You are being very polite saying it is a prick of a job....I did remember how painful it was way back when..

Glad you have it out now and fingers crossed no nasty surprises once you go to start the car again...

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Pedal feel with vt m/cyl combo is awsome...even with stock 290mm brake setup.

Major downside is how disgusting stock brake lines look with the adaptors...would look decent if got them shortened with proper flare & vt nuts to delete the adaptors.
Yeah that’s on the cards, either a Lowes Fabrication setup or something I piece together myself and one of those brackets some bloke sells on Facebook. Have given up looking for the 330mm premium hsv brakes.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
You are being very polite saying it is a prick of a job....I did remember how painful it was way back when..

Glad you have it out now and fingers crossed no nasty surprises once you go to start the car again...
Yeh I guess it’s the worst first time around. Just hope it all goes back together the same way!