Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP 4 speed auto problem

mutley770

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Berlina Series II
Hey there, my car's in pretty good nick but I think it's starting to develop a problem. It's done 155K kms and when I'm driving it, soft or hard, it slips a little doing the transition to 2nd gear.. then after a few seconds of slip it thuds and engages into 2nd gear.

Have I worn out the bands or is this a symptom of the whole gearbox being cactus soon. Transmission oil is still nice - clear and red, not brown or burnt.

Basically I need to know if it's cactus soon - if so I'll thrash it and do the job properly so it's replaced under the 3 year extended warranty. :thumbsup:

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
check your fluid level.
it needs to be done when its hot and running in park
thats what it sounds like to me

mutley770

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Berlina Series II
thanks xcop but nope that's the first thing I checked. Had a slow leak in the trans cooler hose so I replaced the upper and lower one to make sure that never happens.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
When was it last servised? Coz a small service will probly fix it.....Fixed mine when it was doin nice thud changes into 2nd....now its smooth clean change no pause between it just a smooth transfer between gears....

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Does it actully slip or does it find it hard or take too long to change into 2nd gear? Because if its just revving out unusually high and then thud into 2nd gear without slippage then I would say your kickdown cable needs adjusting, but if it is actully slipping then I think its an internal issue.

mutley770

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Berlina Series II
thanks for the help so far dudes.

Mack what happens is this..

If I drive it gently, and it trys to change from 1st to 2nd at low revs - it sort of feels like it's transitioning into 2nd for waaay to long. Like it's between gears for a few seconds. You can hear it's gone out of 1st as the revs have dropped, but it's not 100% engaged yet. At that moment before it's engaged into 2nd, the more throttle I give it, the harder the thud when it engages. If I'm really gunning it, it slips for a little longer with a big thud when it finally 'catches'.

Regardless of throttle opening, it feels like the correct shift point - ie nice and gentle with low line pressure and at low revs when cruising, or high revs and harder line pressure when gunning it. Havn't gunned it into 2nd for a while though as I reckon I'm going to kill it.

When it kicks back from 4th/3rd to 2nd all is fine.

Sometimes when the car is a little cold, it doesn't seem to happen as badly?

Cheers super sleuthes

:)

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
just try servicing it and see how it is then.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
Mack said:
Its up to you I say, you can either waste away money on a service, or use that money on a new GB...It can be a hard decision..

i agree but remember also wasting about $500 on a recon one when u dont need to sounds like a bit of a waste too.