Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp 5l oil pressure issue?

drakey_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1
hey all ive just put together a new motor for my vp the whole short motor is brand new from holdent spares ive put a stage three crow cam and lifters pushrods and complet heads off original motor (wich was built about 6 months before i bought the car and the bottom end fell to bit after about 600k's) ive used a secondhand oil pump and pick up off a vs series 3 5l. my problem is when i first start the car when cold its very rattley in the top end and oil pressure light is on for about 3-5 secs and will go away til i put the car inyo gear then it flickers on until i accelerate and then it goes and stays off. but if i give a hiding or drop a decent skid it gets a mad ticking from the top end again and wont go away til i let the car cool down again, but the oil light doesent come back on any ideas on what this may be im thinking valve springs:idea3: when hot but the cold start still has me worried
thanks

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id be getting the oil pressure checked.It might be a faulty pump or a leak somewhere in the oiling system.It could also be just something fairly simple like a weak/broken oil pressure relief valve spring.

thephilth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute
Shim the oil pressure relief spring mate easy as. Will bring your pressure up and if this doesnt work problem is elsewhere.

hiace 5ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
83 hiace van 5ltr vn
hi drakey i had similar prob, had block cleaned before assy, didn't realise they had removed oil gallery plugs behind timing gear, took ages to find prob, had flow but no pressure. hope this helps regards

drakey_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1
Shim the oil pressure relief spring mate easy as. Will bring your pressure up and if this doesnt work problem is elsewhere.

how do i do this im keen to try anything to fix it. by the way ive put brand new anti pump lifters, hardened pushrods n better valve springs in since i started the post and it doesent get noisy on startup or while running even after a caining. I fitted a mechanical oil pressure guage and shows little to no pressure at idle (2-3psi max) but one i bring the revs over 1000rom it flicks straight up to 20-25 psi so now im really scratching my head? any ideas guys?