Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp 5ltr starts and stalls

Kev ol bluedog

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp 5ltr holden commodore utility
The VP V8 has a hall effect distributor. Next time this happens, get an old spark plug , open the gap to about 8mm, fit it to one of the HT plug leads , hold it against the block with an insulated screwdriver and see if you still get a spark.

If you get a spark the cause is probably in the fuel system, if not look at the electrics.
Gday mate. Its starting easy and running for about ten secs then stalls. Will start again straight away. I have tried this before and the spark is yellow...? Have hard wired fuel pump direct to battery but it does the same starts and stalls.

Kev ol bluedog

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mike when i say it starts it idles bout 1500 rpm and when i try to give it a rev it backfires thru throttle body. Coughs farts then stalls m

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Check the fuel flow & fuel pressure.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Going lean when you open the throttle. If it had a carby I'd look at the accelerator pump.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Sure MAP vacuum hose is unblocked/unbroken?
Might be distributor- I like to see a blue spark, not yellow, which needs more volts. Battery terminals OK?
I'd also go over the engine management wiring and check all connections and earths.
Are the replacement components you used genuine GMH or Delphi - I've had bad parts supplied new by cheaper suppliers.
You can check absolutely for manifold leaks by hooking up a vacuum gauge if you have one.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
. I have tried this before and the spark is yellow
While firing the parts cannon Id change the coil all thou every time I've actually done that on a v8 commodore I've ended up changing the distributor and the modale on the strut tower

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I had an intermittent fault due to a faulty coil- symptoms were: failed suddenly each time during a long hard run, stopped for a minute then restarted perfectly. It took a lot of finding.
If you replace the coil relocate it on the firewall well away from engine heat.
If you want to replace the ignition module I had to replace mine in 2012 and the best one I could find at the time was a rebuilt5.0 liter racing unit by nuclearpoweredmodules for $257. It's worked well ever since.

Last edited:

Kev ol bluedog

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sure MAP vacuum hose is unblocked/unbroken?
Might be distributor- I like to see a blue spark, not yellow, which needs more volts. Battery terminals OK?
I'd also go over the engine management wiring and check all connections and earths.
Are the replacement components you used genuine GMH or Delphi - I've had bad parts supplied new by cheaper suppliers.
You can check absolutely for manifold leaks by hooking up a vacuum gauge if you have one.
The parts were bosch or gmh mate. . I'm starting to err towards the dizzy as well but will check everything again this afternoon. Thanks for ya ideas mick cos i running out of them aye

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6