Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP and VQ steering rack differences?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Hey there,

A mate of mine recently picked up a '91 5.0l Calais with a busted steering rack. He picked up a rack from the wreckers that came from a VQ Statesman and has installed it, but the alignment on it is completely out of whack (he hasn't attempted any re-alignment yet).

I just wanted to know if there were any differences at all between the VP and VQ steering racks? Or if anybody has done this?

Thanks heaps.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
No difference at all. I shoved a VL rack in my VQ and it works like a dream.

The alignment is out, because it hasn't been aligned. Simple as that :)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
So VQ have variable steer aswell morton?

Wierd cause when i had my rack replaced, it was a specific VP Calais part, VQ had a different part number.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Depends what car you get it out of, SII VQs have variable speed steering, and SI VQs don't. I'm assuming the person here has done the sensible thing, and bought the same type of rack :p (sort of like not buying a manual rack when you have power steering, and not buying IRS driveshafts when you have a live axle).

I'm sure they have different part numbers, but the rack width, lock-to-lock, pinion gear and mounting points will be identical. Just like the rack ends and tie rod ends for manual/power steering racks are different, but the parts are identical in every way. :)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
No difference at all. I shoved a VL rack in my VQ and it works like a dream.

The alignment is out, because it hasn't been aligned. Simple as that :)

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

We were just really interested to know if it was the same or not because the alignment was so bad. He's going to try and align it some time today, or align it enough that we can get it down to a steering place to be properly aligned.

We were told that this rack was the variable speed type, and the only visual differences are that the steering arms might be a tiny bit thicker? Other than that, it all bolted up fine as far as I know.

Thanks Morton.